back to article Oracle pumps out Q4 financials in premature release: See? We're OK

Oracle rushed through the public filing of decent Q4 financials last night some three days earlier than planned to head off any industry talk that the pending exit of a sales bigwig was due to tumbling turnover. The word on the street, well at least on Murdoch's Wall St rag Barron's, is that 26-year Oracle veteran, exec veep …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

any takers on Oracle revising this filing?

Anybody?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: any takers on Oracle revising this filing?

Looks like just you, my friend.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and Itanium is dead

Did we mention that Itanium is dead, oh and we won't support it any more because its dead.

When you go to Intel they only talk about "IA or Intel Architecture" this does not mean Itanium. That is a dead end product and is never mentioned in their cloud computing initiative.

Do we care if customers want oracle products supported on Itanium...huh no we dont care. We are doing just fine and our lead sales guy is not going to f hp up because we fired him.

hugs and kiss's Meg...but we will still not support Itanic

1. carrera4life
      Meh

Re: and Itanium is dead

Unless there is a cast iron commercial agreement stating that software vendor X will support hardware vendor Y's chip set, isn't it up to X to decide what platforms its software will run on?

I always thought software companies chose hardware platforms on the likelihood that someone would actually buy both the hardware and the software; if no one buys the hardware, why would I care about the software?

I can't sue Sainsbury's simply because they stop selling my favorite product; I'd need a contract to be able to do that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

You understand the difference between ethical and legal arguments ? If you stop supporting customers who have sent you billions over the years and if you let down a loyal partner who facilitated much of your billion-dollar wealth, how ethical is that ?

There is some justice in this world, we just need to be patient. Unethical behaviour will haunt Mr Ellison in the next couple of years.

1. Allison Park

Larry <> ethics

he is not God either.

unfortunately for the HP customers i am with the coward who believes itanium is dead.

HP-UX and Intanium "technology" will be moved to odyssey asap but no hp-ux, HP is trying to be vague to stop the stampede

1. Anonymous Coward
            Stop

Certainly Itanium must soon be end-of-lifed. The same can be said about SPARC.

But all that is completely irrelevant to a responsible and ethical CEO of a major database vendor. Customers still have lots of Itanium hardware and they run critical business processes that are essential for probably hundreds of billions of "real-world" business every year. Millions of jobs depend on this. HP's enterprise business depends on Itanium like IBM's enterprise business depends on System/z.

Mr Ellison let these people (customers and HP) down for some petty, egotist reasons. I am sure HP and Oracle would have found a way to get a smooth solution (e.g. HP paying for maintenance releases or HP maintaining the source themselves or a third party doing that).

We are not talking about an irrelevant leisure app, we are talking about business-critical software that cost billions and supports multi-billion business.

Also, we are talking about backstabbing long-term business partners.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like