back to article Top disk drive dog WD shakes off flood water, doubles its earnings

WD produced record results for its 2012 fiscal year despite two natural disasters and buying Hitachi GST for $4.8bn, the largest-ever acquisition in the disk drive industry. It is overtaking Seagate in revenue and disk drive unit production terms and is the undisputed top disk drive industry dog. Where next? WD beat the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. A. H. O. Thabeth
    Holmes

Given the "drive shortage" and the price hike - how could the not make a hugh profit.

End of story!

1. A. H. O. Thabeth
      FAIL

Re: Given the "drive shortage" and the price hike - how could the not make a hugh profit.

Sorry about the the typo; yes it should have read:

Given the "drive shortage" and the price hike - how could they not make a huge profit.

2. b166er

So hold on, have hard disk prices normalised again after the floods?

Not according to this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/10/wd_hdd_pricing/

Hrmph

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Prices will drop slower than the costs... always does. The market grows accustomed to a 100% rise in prices, so then a cut makes everything seem cheap again even though it's higher than it was before the hike... only competition will slowly force prices back down.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Competition would ...

.. push the prices down. Except there isn't any now.

Thanks regulators, sit back and count your cash whilst we're left with a duopoly of suppliers.

3. Bob Smits

I'm surprised they are doing so well. They have a good warranty replacement program AND I've needed it for the last two WD drives I bought, a 1TB and a 2 TB.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like