back to article HP hangs axe over 268 UK staffers ahead of mass cull

HP wants to make nearly 300 UK staff redundant before its mass lay-off programme even kicks in, company insiders have claimed. Well-placed sources say HP informed the government's Department for Business Innovation & Skills a fortnight ago that 268 jobs have been put at risk. Companies have a legal obligation under the Data …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Consultants

Yet HP are using numerous consultants to service their clients (e.g. Aviva). I can't see how a company can "axe" thousands of permanent staff while engaging consultants - unless none of the thousands have relevant skills (unlikely when the numbers are so large).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Consultants

Well Aviva are in the shit anyway. Probably no coincidence that Aviva have outsourced and offshored everything, and equally no coincidence that former CEO Andrew Moss had to resign recently, after his dismal performance was accompanied by fat cat pay demands.

I'd suggest the HP plan is to move everything except sales offshore, but the consultants are reluctantly employed to fix the things that the offshore workforce can't fix, or break themselves.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Consultants

Aviva are over manned - have you seen how many "Directors Of" and "Heads of" there are in IT - and then the large numbers of MC1 "managers" who all play politics. They may have outsourced their IT but they are far from lean. HP were stitched up with an old EDS contract so they are working to rule (i.e. charging for absolutely everything not explicit in the contract) - it makes working with them painful. These redundancies are going to make things worse - how to further demotivate an already demotivated workforce.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do you mean

There planned profits from ultra books has not come into fruition?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This was predicted when they bought EDS

I have already lost some good pals from peterlee

3. Velv
    Terminator

Reducing head count can in some circumstances save a company money. Moving roles to other places in the world can also potentially produce some apparent savings on the annual accounts.

It's worked so well for RBS Group, hasn't it...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HR1 form

Wonderful bit of legislation that is. It would be even better if the detail contained on it weren't reported on before those affected were told. I well remember having to listen to the radio on the way to work just to check if I still had a job to go to. Twice I heard that they'd announced multiple redundancies at Compaq, but managed to avoid the chop. They got me the third time though, but I just ended up being redeployed to do the same job but reporting to a different division.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP eats itself

The farce continues. Pitiful executive decisions continue to kill the jobs of those who do the work. Do we really believe all the savings will go into R&D ?

Sooner an activist investor comes in and breaks HP up into its logical parts the better. The current board are useless.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like