back to article Microsoft upping Office 365 fees for resellers AGAIN

Microsoft is once again plumping up the cheques it dishes out to channel folk across the globe as a sweetener to dealers as they try to push its Office 365 cloud services to customers. The software titan already pushed up advisor's fees to 18 per cent at last month's Worldwide Partner Conference and vowed to pay top accredited …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Meh

Would *anybody* trust their business to the cloud ?

given the Patriot act, and the willingness of US judges to slap takedowns left right and centre.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Would *anybody* trust their business to the cloud ?

Not me. I will be using Office 2013, but I'll be setting up our own Server 2012 for our "cloud". We'll get the same benefits but all data will be under our control and in Europe.

2. RICHTO
      Mushroom

Re: Would *anybody* trust their business to the cloud ?

Yes - EU companies tend to have contractual requirements that the data stays in a democracy and doesnt go over the Atlantic...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...

Tell customers that the cloud isn't stable/mature enough for their business yet, continue to provide support services for their current mail environment and wait another 6 months until MS bumps up the subsidy again....

P.s. I'm not a reseller, just cynical....

1. RICHTO
      Mushroom

Re: So...

And loose 6 months of revenue...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

My only recommendation wrt 365...

Was when a business (client) of mine was looking for a relative easy external Exchange server for use with their internal Outlook clients and external phone clients. In those cases I think Exchange-online (part of 365) can be helpful.

But all the rest of 365 is something I'm not getting my business involved with. IMO too much risk of extensive support costs overlay (who do you think the customer will contact with problems, hm?).

When it comes to Office then I always recommend the desktop (2010) over the cloud.

4. ColonelClaw
    Meh

Huh?

I don't pretend to know much about economics, but when you want to foster the uptake of a new product in any market, wouldn't it be more sensible to lower prices rather than raise them?

1. RICHTO
      Mushroom

Re: Huh?

Microsoft did just lower prices - by up to 92%.

5. MacGyver
    FAIL

They deserve it.

"Oh no, a drunk driver crashed into the phone box outside by the street, and now all of your software has disappeared". How are you enjoying your thin-client and outsourced "cloud" now? Look how much money you're saving by paying everyone not to work (except the IT staff you got rid of by going to the "cloud"), or how much business you lose when you have to shut down for the whole day(s). If you are one of the morons that is dumb enough to buy into the new (unless you count when this was how it was done in the 80's) "cloud" idea, then you deserve to pay dearly for that shaft you are inserting.

1. RICHTO
      Mushroom

Re: They deserve it.

Having 2 internet connections is pretty standard for companies these days. And if you loose both, you can just use 3G or work from home or your local internet cafe...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like