back to article Capita's IT Services top dog legs it after just 6 months

Capita IT Services boss Mark Quartermaine is leaving the company just six months after he landed the job. He follows operations director Russ Hewitt, who quit the firm a month ago. In an announcement to employees, seen by The Channel, Mark Wyllie, executive director at Capita, said that Quartermaine would be heading for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

job

i volunteer my services for same package as mr Q had and will leave with.

6 months of sacking folk and shuffling a few papers after "working" lunches,i can do that,giss us a job.

1. LarsG

He walks out of the door

And continues the circuit of well paid jobs for the boys.

Next we may hear he is CEO of some council, then when he fails he moves on to the next one and the next one and the next one and the next one.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've heard

I've heard he left because of the pay freeze he imposed on all his staff.

Oh no.

That was everybody else.

3. Anonymous Coward 101

The 'Unity programme'

Orwell would be amused at that load of bullshit.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ITS - The sinking ship

And the biggest rat just jumped.

5. Christopher Rogers
    Windows

A few Capita ACs here then....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Christopher Rogers

Yup, a few ex Capita AC's too ;) These rats jumped ages ago.

6. micheal

Got his cut of the latest Gov pork barrel

He doesnt want to be there when it all comes crashing down around them

No, never worked for them, they tried to poach me for Lunar House offering half what SERCO were already paying me at another site and wondered why I refused, they said it was market rate.....depends whose market they were looking at.

7. Wanda Lust
    Holmes

Trans...

Transformation. What's wrong with change?.

1. Synonymous Howard

Re: Trans...

Because "we fear change".

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cost accounting at it's best

it's not that change is bad - not at all. It's innate and the only certainty we have.

what's not good is the way in which it's executed.

the cost accounting model looks only at cost. it cuts with little recognition of the wider impact. people become naturally fed up because they are just a cost to the business and treated as such. the hard men who come in to implement such cost accounting changes are clearly (as is illustrated here) only interested in money too, but actually only in their money.

so, all in all, the cost accounting model is about greed and breeds a culture of heartless greed. a few people prosper, but the majority don't. Plus, the organisation generally suffers, because it ends up having no heart or soul. just a lower expense value on the P&L account.

Companies should take Apple's example. Focus on great products and let the money worry about itself

9. ElNumbre
    Stop

Professional Hitman

Another professional hitman then - come in, take out a percentage of the population, then leave with a nice big cheque. The remaining/replacement exec's get to blame anything on 'that guy' which means fish-brained staff can forget who hired him in the first place.

IT 101:

Always fear the suit with the 6 month contract.

10. Westdene
    Linux

As an ex-Capita ITS employee I'm not surprised to see Mark Q go ( or Hewitt ). When I was there the Unity programme was a farce - deadlines constantly missed, senior management not knowing or understanding what individuals actually did and penny pinching policies. The pay for non-tuped staff is horrendous while senior managers splash cash on posh hotels and jollies over to India. It really is a them and us culture and the service to the customers is dire due to severe staff shortages. Quartermaine was nothing but a bean counter. It was also highly suspicious how many ex C&W people were suddenly employed in high ranking positions - the jobs were never advertised internally. Jobs for the boys !

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But what an epic surname, hope he remembered to buckle his swash on the way out!

Not at all like Lord Flashheart then? ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like