The friction and competitiveness between IT distributors and the telecommunications vendors in the new cloud-based world is becoming apparent. While working on some research about the cloud-driven evolution of tech wholesalers, Forrester Research interviewed many tech vendors and distributors in the last months, and curiously …
I think we are in rats' alley,
Where the dead men lost their bones.
Personally, I don't think there is a 'black and white' argument for or against IT distributors and telcos working together or competing when it comes to the cloud. Sometimes these organisations may compete, other times they will work together.
As a tech distie, we supply a number of cloud and managed services ourselves (under our ALVEA Services brand) through our reseller channel to the end user. However, we also provide Infrastructure products (such as network security), to allow telcos to build their own service offerings as well as providing a number of service providers with our own ALVEA Managed Services for them to rebrand and incorporate in their own portfolio.
Like with any product or service, some suppliers will be better placed for a particular customer than others. In light of this, I believe there's space for both distributors and telcos in the cloud market.
- Research: Microsoft the fastest growing maker of tablet OSs ... by 2019
- Exclusive Oracle confesses to quietly axing its UK software support centre
- HPE to open private London drinking club
- Microsoft rides to Dell's rescue, wrecks rogue root certificate
- Analysis Dell computers bundled with backdoor that blurts hardware fingerprint to websites