Technology products distributor Tech Data (TD) has swallowed Specialist Distribution Group (SDG) for $350m (£220.3m) in a deal that is subject to regulatory approval from the EU's competition authorities. As revealed by The Channel some months back, UK Midlands-based Specialist Computer Holdings (SCH), SDG's parent, was …
Undoubtedly a good timely buy for TD with segments moving into and complementing those within TD. It's a Roller-Coaster ride that doesn't stop for long.
Have a feeling however that longer term, this will limit choice for both Manufacturer and Reseller and may be a contributor to further margin erosion in component and product supply given market share aims and aspirations of the major players.
Mind you, when big boys at the top scrap, there's rich pickings for those further down...until they themselves get fat enough to be another tasty morsel.
- More than half of Windows 8 users just treat it like Windows 7
- Microsoft and pals: Save the global economy by NOT ripping us off
- Exclusive IBM gets ready to push more UK and Irish bods overboard
- Stand back, everyone! Dragons' Den ace HAS FOUND THE CLOUD
- Analysis NetApp: We laid off 100s, profits dived - and it's all YOUR fault