back to article Chambers says Cisco is mulling succession plans

John Chambers has been running networking giant and systems wannabe Cisco Systems for so long that it's hard to remember the vendor existed for seven years before he came on board in 1991 to run worldwide sales and operations after spending a decade and a half at Wang Laboratories and IBM. But at 63, Chambers has no choice but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. William Boyle
    Thumb Down

63 - time to retire? No way!

I'm 64, and started a new (and hope long-term) position with a major tech company as senior systems engineer at the beginning of this year. I'm certainly not ready to retire! If Chambers thinks he is ready to retire, then he is, but it should be HIS decision! If he leave Cisco, then it should be because he is ready for some new challenges, and NOT because he is "too old" for the position!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 63 - time to retire? No way!

Good for you man, 100%.

I actually find it easier to learn past 40 than I did in my twenties. Particularly tech stuff.

And learning languages and math doesn't seem to be hard at all.

However for younger people I would say the memory part of learning is absolutely neglected while you are doing shitty jobs for companies in your 20s, so it takes a few weeks practice to get back up to high-school memory level again, beware, companies will NEVER help you with this, or with gaining commercial qualifications but you MUST make sure to do it and keep yourself sharp and plan ahead despite them :P

2. Chris007

Re: 63 - time to retire? No way!

Given how much money the man has made over the years it's not going to be an onerous retirement plus he is only retiring from Cisco. The chances are, once he has left, he'll be invited onto the boards of several companies and make another fortune.

In the world of IT he's done a remarkable job of staying at the top for so long.

3. John P
    Thumb Up

Padmasree Warrior

With a name like that, how could it be anyone else?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Padmasree Warrior

Based purely on past record, Ms Warrior would likely be the most ineffective choice available, quite possibly tending to the destructive.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like