back to article Gartner has its head in the clouds - and its numbers are WRONG

Gartner analyst Frank Ridder recently opined that "the number of cloud offering[s] is not at all at a satisfactory level today." He made this assertion after canvassing a number of IT users at two Gartner summits. Unfortunately, he may have missed the message these users were sending him. It's not that we need more cloud …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. theopriestley

Not the first time is it !!!

They get every industry wrong, in some cases so off the mark it's incredible that they are still cited as a credible source of analysis.

Want to know how to make your own Magic Quadrant ? http://bit.ly/Vn8mPM

2. LesB
    Happy

I saw what you did there

Surely it's inevitable that cloud services would be nebulous?

3. skipper
    Pint

BSaaS...

...a sound description of cloud computing marketing

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps somebody should offer the whole business (and Developement) as a service...

BADaaS

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about...

Finance and Technology as a service (FATaaS)

Knowledge/Info on Cryptic Keys as a Service (KICKaaS)

Federated User Computing Kit as a Service (FUCKaaS)

Windows Help Information Provision as a Service (WHIPaaS)

etc

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MPaaS

Money Pit as a Service

MyaaS - no explanation necessary

I'm so glad cloud computing exists because it gives so many people so much to do. And, yes, including me.

7. Anonymous Dutch Coward
    Thumb Up

Nicely done, Mr Asay

Completely agreed with your article - that may have been a first ;) Keep them coming!

Thanks a lot,

The Windmill & Tulips Coward

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Nicely done, Mr Asay

Yeah, I give it a (very rare) +1 one as well.

8. Don Jefe
    Meh

Participation

I think people may be tuning into the fact that giving away talent in OSS participation is not the way to home ownership or the ability to support a family.

9. Jan Hargreaves

Would be interesting to know what percentage of cloud "offerings" are ACTUALLY cloud systems.. rather than just a web server being marketed as a cloud.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

What is the point of Fartner?

11. Colin Millar
    Holmes

Missing the point

The whole point of "the cloud" is to obscure things. It is a marketing ploy not a technical standard so it is always going to be clear as mud.

And all Gartner is doing is pointing out that middle level managers like to be flattered by lots of salesmen and they don't feel that the cloud sector is stroking them enough.

12. eBusiness

Unrounding numbers

All the other faults aside, it's funny how all the numbers generated by the survey "unround" to fractions with divisors no greater than 9. Providing so many digits in the result that the last ones are practically random is a common way of making the numbers seem significant. Upping that to so many digits that the last ones are clearly not random does however tend to spoil the illusion.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like