back to article Sony suspends slate sales

Sony has put the brakes on shipments of its Android-based Xperia tablets, the company admitted today, after the Android slab sprung a leak. The Xperia Tablet S, launched early in September at the IFA consumer electronics show, was said by Sony to be water resistant. However, a manufacturing flaw ensured that gaps between the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP

HP didn't perform similar tests unfortunately.

My Touchpad was not compatible with Wine. This does not mean that I couldn't run Office 97, but would it function after a glass of Rose was unintentionally installed as it rested on the coffee table.

One of the dangers of living room computing. At least with the desktop it sits in the computer room which is mostly an alcohol free work zone.

1. Bassey

Re: HP

> At least with the desktop it sits in the computer room which is mostly an alcohol free work zone.

It Is?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How did they know?

Sony CEO pee'd on his and got a shock.

2. Bodhi

Good to see a manufacturer take some positive steps when an issue is found, rather than ignoring it, blaming the users or shrugging their shoulders and saying "What do you expect?".

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

@Bodhi

If they had said it is water resistant when it wasn't, and had done nothing, they would have been subject to a Trading Standards enquiry about false claims in the UK. That would have been damaging to the brand.

3. MJI Silver badge

Previous model

I have seen it in use, the owner loves it and ran an app to control his work PC

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

you pays your money...

It's a rev1 product in a new line from a company that generally has a terrible reputation for admitting problems, so at least well done them for saying they'll put it right.

5. PipV
    Joke

Apple incident

Can you imagine if this were Apple and not Sony?

It would obviously be classed as iWatergate.

1. Levente Szileszky
      FAIL

Re: Apple incident

"Can you imagine if this were Apple and not Sony?"

Yeah, it would be the extra, top-of-the-line iPad model, costing $100 more for being waterproof, around $850, still sporting a lot weaker specs than the Sony.

6. Armando 123
    Devil

Prior art

My dad bought a boat like this when I was a kid. Last time we ever bought something from Edward Smith's Used LIfeboats.

7. JaitcH
    Happy

Some people think waterproofing is an unnecessary luxury

I have always, wherever possible, bought 'ruggedised' or 'waterproof' versions of portable electronics for in monsoon storms, which I regularly experience, even things in your pockets get soaked, as in dripping wet.

Whenever I see Vietnamese school children calmly walking through shower-like storms, blithely ignoring the rain and wearing nothing but their light school uniforms, I always think they must have fish-like qualities.

Regular losses

Every storm sees people with iThingies and other smartphones who forgot their 'baggies' lose motherboards to rain. They don't even think to switch them off! Of course Apple aficionados are well and truly screwed as their batteries cannot be removed! Another sale for Apple.

One way to recover from a soaking

A wet cell phone, IF promptly switched off, AND THE BATTERY REMOVED can be recovered. With luck.

After shaking all the surplus water from the cell, you wrap the unit in kitchen wipe type paper then place it in a sealed glass jar such as a used instant coffee jar, and left for 24-hours.

Then remove the device, discard the paper. Either dry the rice on a flat plate on a low setting in a microwave oven or use fresh, dry rice.

After thoroughly dried repeat the 24-hour drying cycle AND ONLY THEN try powering the cell up. I have recovered several this way.

I also use silicon grease (from professional electronic suppliers - used in two-way radio antenna work) around ALL opening in a smartphone case. Even around rotating controls.- always preferable to get a little grease on your hands than lose a handset.

Laptops and Netbooks

Thank goodness for turkey sized plastic bags (or small garbage bags) as they are your protection for larger portable devices. Often double-bagging is needed to really get protection.

The HSBC SecureKey is allegedly waterproof - news,it isn't unless thoroughly dried off before using.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sony are clearly the king of tablets

are normally this wouldn't even be worthy of a mention, let alone El-Reg and BBC coverage.

Unless of course there is an Agenda at play...

I hear Lidl had a problem with some of their bicycle water bottles leaking the other week. Headline news also?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like