back to article If you measure IT with PCs, you're doing it wrong

Assessing the health of the IT industry by taking the temperature of the the PC market is no longer a useful approach, Canalys President and CEO Steve Brazier told the analyst outfit's APAC Channel Forum in Singapore today. Bounding onto the stage after two of Singapore's signature dancing lions ensured the event got off to an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Whatever.

In my third of a century of building data centers, advertising hype has never really been important in the long term. Marketards have absolutely zero clue how the infrastructure works.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

The data set looks artificially flawed to me

"When Canalys finished its sums for all PCs, tablets and smartphones, Brazier said the firm found just 32% of devices run Windows"

I wonder what they would find if they included the rest of home and business computing?

It seems odd to include tablets and smartphones yet exclude games consoles, STBs (and "Smart" TVs), and the home and business "network appliances" (NAS, hardware firewalls etc).

On a per-device count, my guess is that less than 20% run Windows, and I'd be interested to know how accurate that is.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like