back to article Monitors to grow half an inch in 2013

Monitors will grow by about half an inch in 2013, but there's be no sales bulge for resellers according to Taiwanese market-watcher WitsView. The firm says new manufacturing processes mean it is now just as easy and cost-effective to cut LCD screens 19.5 inches wide as it is to slice them into 18.5 inch slabs. While only one …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. M Gale

One of these days I'll have to buy a new monitor. Until then, this AOC 9GlrA from last millennium seems to be still working rather nicely. 1280x1024@75hz is more than lovely enough for me, with the option of 1600x1200 and a quite scary (and horribly interlaced) 2048x1536 possible if you give it some persuasion.

Just hope if and when I buy a replacement, it lasts at least as long as this workhorse has.

1. Grave

crt > lcd

i'm not planning to downgrade my primary display from Eizo F931 to some crappy lcd :)

(it can do 160Hz but i'm running 1600x1200-96Hz = smoooooth video playback with mpc-hc)

working in IT i've seen my share of lcd's (hundreds) and none come even close

(compared side by side and the colors on lcds are always horrible)

i dread the day my trusty crt croaks :(

1. Piro Silver badge

Re: crt > lcd

That's because you work in IT. Nobody in IT buys decent IPS screens, why the hell would they? It's all about bulk and low cost.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

CRTs

2048x1536 may have been a resolution that "worked" but I can almost guarantee that the screen's pixel pitch didn't honestly support anywhere near that resolution without aliasing, 75% of that is probably more realistic.

I was was quite sensitive to refresh rates and was sad to see my last decent CRT fail, but I noticed that you could either have sharp pixels or high refresh rates, never both. And where am I going to find a CRT to match a 30" WQXGA IPS panel?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

chicken and egg

This could easily be a self fulfilling prophesy of static sales. I'll probably upgrade my primary desktop next year but to spend money on new monitors I need new functionality e.g. bigger screens, touch, higher frequency, better colour. I'm prepared to pay a premium for better monitors but otherwise I'll keep current 1200 and 1440 units as long as possible until the manufacturers realize yet another 1080p screen 5mm thinner is a downgrade for professional users. I suspect I'm not alone in this thinking.

3. Tinstaafl

Who cares about larger monitors, if the resolution is downgraded

I use my laptop for writing documents, not staring at widescreen movies. I want the extra vertical resolution that's lost thanks to the curse of consumer idiot led 1080p glossy screens and not see every light behind me("Oooh. Shiny!"). When that laptop & its 1600x1200 matte screen finally died I had to buy a used machine (a Lenovo W500 1920x1200 matte in excellent condition) but would have preferred to buy a brand new laptop with the same type of screen.

4. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

4K or GTFO.

5. Chris Miller

"there's be no sales"

I'm afraid you're a little late for International Talk Like a Pirate Day.

6. cortland

grow half an inch

Cheap See Alice!

7. tjdennis2

I'd like a square monitor

All this wide screen stuff is very annoying on computers. It's great for my TV where I actually sit and watch TV and movies. But on my computer, I want to do work so a nice 30" square 2600x2600 display would be the nicest thing possible. I doubt I'll ever see it :^(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'd like a square monitor

2600 vertical resolution?!! But, but, that would mean you could see the Apple apology to Samsung link without scrolling!!!!

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: I'd like a square monitor

I can see it without scrolling my Galaxy Note 2 if held in portrait orentation.

8. Christopher Rogers
    Windows

I've been tempting myself with a new screen or 2 for a while, but really it would be a waste of money. I have a 4:3 ratio Sony which has a fantastically sharp screen and an HP generic 19" widescreen which is more than ample. The only really compelling reason to replace either will be when one or t'other pops it. Then its min 23" IPS all round.

9. EvilGav 1
    Holmes

As per other comments - when you haven't increased the screen resolution in a decade, no wonder no-one is upgrading.

I replaced my cheap LCD panels about 3 years ago for a pair of HP IPS panels and the difference in colour, saturation and brightness was astonishing - put side by side with a friends almost new Samsung LED monitor and the difference was incredible.

However, if you want anything more than 1920x1200 (and even those are quite scarce), you have to go for either silly money (Eizo monitors) or larger screens and still expensive (£500+). If you can make a 7" 720p IPS display for a portable device, why cant you bolt 4 of them together and give me a 4K display? It doesn't even need all that touch gubbins in it!!

10. Andus McCoatover
    Joke

Monitors to grow half an inch in 2013

Ooh, I remember being the "Ink Monitor" at school when I were a lad, filling up the desk inkwells for the dip-pens we used.

Phwoar! Missus and I can't wait for next year. Alright, every little helps...

This topic is closed for new posts.