back to article Cash-strapped Comet sheds ANOTHER 735 staff

Penniless Comet handed P45s to 735 workers in a second round of cuts across the business today, administrator Deloitte has confirmed. The list of casualties includes 603 employees in the home delivery network, which operates 12 UK hubs and will continue with a skeletal staff, and 132 head office and support roles. The cull, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe the employees should of taken out the extended warranty.

2. My Alter Ego
    Coat

Not everyone's a loser

It's amazing how often administrator's fees tend to equal the assets of the company they're stripping down restructuring. I'm sure Deloitte won't be breaking that tradition.

3. Mike Brown

Farrington said redundant staff will be offered classes to teach job-hunting skills, such as CV and cover letter writing, as well as improve their interview techniques

great, but by law they have to do this....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sad news

I've been there myself, and to be made redundant just before Xmas is a pretty shit state of affairs to be in! Especially in a recession, especially those with families.

My thoughts are with all Comet staff :-(

1. Chris007
      Mushroom

Re: Sad news

wow - which heartless bastard down voted the Sad News comment?

5. The Godfather
    Unhappy

Tough call

Not a pleasant experience for many employees particularly at this time of the year. A local car dealership here in West London also called in Administrators late last week firing employees, some with over 20 years dedicated service.

6. Robert E A Harvey
    Unhappy

Down side

This is the Harsh Reality, but I still feel sorry for those blinking in unwelcome daylight.

Now if the renumeration of all directors for the last 5 years could be taken back, it would seem less unfair.

1. Hardcastle the ancient
      FAIL

Re: Down side

Why has some idiot downvoted an expression uf sympathy with the victims?

1. Z80

Re: Down side

Maybe they were downvoting the misspelling of remuneration?

7. AlbertH
    FAIL

What did they expect?

Comet couldn't understand why they had lots of "footfall" but no takings. They had simply become showrooms for online retailers. The online companies have significantly lower costs, so are able to sell goods for 40 - 60% less than Comet. The online retailers also deliver straight to the buyer's door (often at no charge)....

You'd have to be stupid to buy anything at Comet!

1. cosymart
      Facepalm

Re: What did they expect?

They had, might still have, strange delivery rules. The only day that anyone at my house was in was a Saturday but because I was trying to arrange purchase and delivery on the previous Saturday they would not deliver the next Saturday. But had I gone in on the Monday I could have a Saturday delivery. This was explained to me as fact and they could not understand why I was looking incredulous. Needless to say they did not get my business.

2. Arrrggghh-otron

Re: What did they expect? - IRL show room for on-line shops

Perhaps they should have just started referring their customers to Amazon et al, with affiliate links... at least that way they would have made some money.

8. Phil W

Inevitable failures are inevitable

I've never bought anything from Comet, small goods I've got online and large items were cheaper elsewhere including Currys/PC World.

You know your goods are overpriced when Currys are undercutting your prices.

You know your business is crap when you're making Currys look good.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like