back to article Bolton biz kingpin tables '7 figure' offer for Comet website

The future of Comet's stores hangs in the balance: but the business brain behind Appliances Online has tabled a million pound plus bid for the website part of the drain-circling retailer. As previously revealed, Dixons and Maplins are understood to have expressed interest in only a handful of Comet stores as administrator …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Goldmember

Fitting, really

Companies like Appliances Online are responsible for the downfall of Comet. That and Comet's complete ignorance in trying to understand the online retail market.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Popped up in the local Rag

The lazy hacks down near us have published this http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/10067501.Is_Dorset_businessman_poised_to_rescue_Comet_/

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The stores are too big for Maplin, unless then are carved up and shared with other retailers.

4. Ross K Silver badge
    Devil

So basically...

John Roberts, the man behind Bolton-based white goods etailer Appliances Online has confirmed he put in a "seven figure offer" for the web stores.

He said his firm expected to continue using the Comet name on the net

A seven-figure sum for the comet.co.uk domain name, with a redirect to http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/ ?

No jobs being saved there then?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comet asked around

Comet asked around.

Comet offered itself lock stock and barrel to Maplin Electronics for £2.

Of course Maplin had to uphold all of Comets warranties, store costs and at a estimated cost of £50 million for that. They sensibly declined...

1. damien c

Re: Comet asked around

The warranties are being held up by the insurance company who provided them.

Still I am not sure what is going to happen if you need a new TV etc, because are they going to refund all the money or part of it though.

I would like to see how they are going to be upheld, but when I was working for Comet I was told that if they ever went under people who bought the warranties didn't, have to worry as there was a 3rd party insurer not connected to Comet as a company, other than Comet being a customer of theres.

6. JaitcH
    Stop

"Deloitte are understood to have set a deadline of 14 November for offers from interested parties."

Is this an old news piece, a typo or Deloitte's a little confused? (14 November}

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like