back to article Motörheadphönes Motörizer rock 'phones review

One retailer’s Motörheadphönes Motörizer page caught my attention today. “Warning!” it shrieked, “The packaging and product includes explicit language. Not suitable for children under the age of 18.” Quite apart from the fact that whoever wrote those words has clearly not set foot in a British secondary school for a fair few …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. thegrouch

How about a review of the in-ear models?

2. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

Mmmm...

As someone who really really hates the insane bass levels I might give these a try if I can find them localy.

1. James O'Brien
      Thumb Up

Re: Mmmm...

As someone who rather likes Motörhead I want :)

3. Code Monkey

Ï'm tëmptëd. Öthër hëädphönes ärë sömëwhät läckïng ïn thë umlaut dëpärtmënt.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
      Thumb Up

küdös!

2. A J Stiles
      Headmaster

The Big Question

As any fule kno, two dots over a letter can be either a diaeresis -- as in "naïve" -- indicating that it and the preceding letter are meant to be pronounced separately; or an umlaut -- as in "führer" -- indicating that the sound is changed as though by a following "e" (which is an acceptable alternative spelling if accented characters are not available).

Given all which, can you spell "diaeresis" using an umlaut, as "diäresis" ?

4. Qarumba
    Facepalm

Mugphones

Reasonable priced at £130! Who would have thought that there were enough fools in the world to fork out this kind of money for a bit of plastic, cloth and a pair of small speakers? But then who would have thought there were enough fools to fork out stupid money for "training" shoes. Just another fashion statement.

5. tirk
    Facepalm

All so establishment in old age...

Hawkwind's Master of the Universe on a Ford advert, Lemmy selling beer, and now Motörhead brand eartrumpets!

I wonder when Stacia will pop up advertising stairlifts.

1. Captain Hogwash
      Coat

Re: I wonder when Stacia will pop up advertising stairlifts.

She probably could have used such assistance to get them things up a flight of stairs even back in the day.

2. Lloyd
      Stop

Re: All so establishment in old age...

Don't forget The Skids flogging Halfords kit, Sham 69 flogging McDonalds in the naughties, The Maiden flogging Lucozade in the 80's/90's. I want to see Henry Rollins flogging Hello Kitty (literally), it's a shame GG Allin isn't around any more, he could have done a nice line in Domestos.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Coat

"I want to see Henry Rollins flogging Hello Kitty..."

Ooooooh, I think the Dead Kennedys would be far more amusing for that one.

2. Dapprman
        Thumb Up

Re: All so establishment in old age... @ Lloyd

Don't knock it, that Daly Thompson/Phantom of the Opera advert helped get me in to

1. Iron Maiden

2. Timing what track was about to start on the stereo when traffic lights were about to turn to green ....

3. jason 7

Well that pension fund does need the odd top up now and then.

Age the great leveller.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If they're good enough for Herr Kilmister...

They're good enough for me.

This is the third or fourth review I've read about these phönes and every review has been amazingly favorable.

Think headmaster Lemmy had any say in them or is he just fattening up his retirement fünd ?

Nah, forget it...that was a stupid question.

Rock on Lemmy !

1. Whistler
      Megaphone

Re: If they're good enough for Herr Kilmister...

Yeah, I'd love a pair of those.

But what really puzzles me more and more as time goes by, is how come Lemmy is still alive?

Don't get me wrong, glad he is. But given all the other fallen, how has he done it? Good clean living? Not!

1. The last doughnut

According to legend he avoided opiates.

I was in the audience at the BBC Young Ones recording where Motorhead performed Ace of Spaces, and I can confirm it was ace.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Every organism known to man probably dies once it enters his bloodstream He has been expressly forbidden to donor bloodtransfusions ever.

Imagine the jolt you'll get when someone hooks you up to this guy's metabolics.

Ace of spades indeed !

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They just look like normal cans with a logo stuck on them. I would have expected them to be more crazy and in your face.

Still, I imagine Lemmy's choice of symbols probably wouldn't have gone down well generally. He does like his Nazi and WW2 symbols, but because he is an anarchist not a nazi or racist (or so he says).

8. The Brave Sir Robin
    Thumb Up

Want ! Want ! Want !

Want ! Want ! Want ! Want ! Want ! Want ! Want ! Want ! Want !

You get the idea.

9. TheRealRoland
    Happy

I hope we're not all goldfish around here...

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/10/05/hands_on_review_motorhead_headphones/

Two months ago.

Not a 'full review' with these nice graphs, but still, the in-ear things are mentioned in some detail.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: I hope we're not all goldfish around here...

Thank God someone else spotted that. I thought I had déjà vu there, for a minute.

10. Spiracle
    Coat

Still waiting for the 'Deaf Förever' model.

1. What of IT?
      Pint

floodgates now opened

I'm sure that we'll start seeing more of these. Expect to see merchandise from Megadeaf, Canthrax, Canowar, Tinny Lizzy, White(noise)snake, Can Halen, etc etc etc.

Did I miss anyone?

Friday Beer anyone?

1. Blitheringeejit
        Coat

Re: floodgates now opened

>Did I miss anyone?

Er ... Can?

(Er .. coat.)

11. Flawless101
    Meh

Tempted

Been looking a pair of headphones for a while now, and these would seem to fit the bill except for the jarring Motorhead logo on the side.

Think it's possible to remove it without breaking the shell?

12. Tom 38

Paying for the name

I think I'd rather have a nice pair of Sennys than this. Then you aren't constrained by "This is the Motorhead over ear model" and can actually choose the acoustic characteristics you prefer.

Personally, I have a lovely set of open backed, over ear, Sennheiser HD 558s, cost about the same as this.

13. Bradley Hardleigh-Hadderchance

Massive Lemmy fan here

Geezer! Actually really is an exceptionally good bass player. Doesn't glorify drink/drugs. Hell, I even like his growly voice.

But, you can get a pair of cans as good and save yourself a hundred quid. I haven't tried the cans, so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but I would be surprised if they are better than these - Presonus HD-7.

I've got a few pairs of cans and have written at some length about them before, but I just happened to be wearing these now and they really are a very strong/light/great sounding pair of cans. They can hold it with the industry standard Sony 7506s I also have. I'm not affiliated with Presonus in any way.

You can find them for under £30 if you shop around. And for less than £100 you can get the Presonus AudioBox USB bundled with it too. This package also comes with Studio One Artist, a cut down version of their top-notch Digital Audio Workstation. So if you feel like playing producer or trying your hand at songwriting or just messing about with a really fun and powerful bit of kit, you can also save £30 on what the Motorhead cans cost.

In fact Studio One Artist costs about £80 if you just bought that by itself. And of course if you wanted to upgrade to the full professional version, then the upgrade would be cheaper than if you bought the full one outright.

I think I've got the price right on that bundle, but there are so many options I might have got it a bit wrong. Google around and see for yourself. They have mics included with some packages and if you didn't have one already you would kind of need one for a lot of stuff, such as recording your cat screaming or your wife snoring ;-) or, hey, push the boat out - your cat snoring and your wife, well you get the picture.

Here is a list of differences and plugins etc..

http://studioone.presonus.com/what-are-the-versions/

Back to the cans, really, for £30 inc. delivery, you would be hard pushed to find an overall better set.

Then again, maybe the Motorheads really are excellent and worth the money..........

14. Blitheringeejit
    Alert

Owwww!!

+8dB peak at about 6.5KHz?

I know we oldies are losing it up there, but we still have a pain threshold FFS!

15. Bradley Hardleigh-Hadderchance
    Happy

Owww indeed...

Wouldn't you just have to switch the loudness button on, thereby inverting back the already inverted Fletcher-Munson Curve? I would assume that anyone listening to Motorhead on cans would do this by default anyway, the hairy old rockers that they (probably) are. Maybe that's why they put in that feature - to neutralize the frequency response.

Not really what an Audio Engineer would appreciate though. Then again <cough>NS10s</cough>.

Good catch, missed that.

Trying to get a frequency response graph for the HD7 and came across this link which likened the HD7s to Superlux hd681b cans.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/546556/superlux-express-train/285

Interesting. Must look into that.

This is my rough criteria for what a decent set of cans should have.

1/ Do they sound good?

2/ Is the lead long enough, but not too long?

3/ Do they look cool (will they make me look like a tit when the fem vox comes to do her take, or worse, make her look like a tit, thereby crushing her already too fragile ego and throwing a hissy one?)?

4/ Will they break if I sit on them?

5/ Do they sound good?

Btw, you can now get Isone Pro for free over at http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/

This plug in pack contains over a dozen of the best VST ever coded, by an authority on the subject and a very generous individual. You wouldn't need anything else, but this, it has all the tools needed to do a professional production. You just have to figure out how to use them, that's the hard bit ;-).

---------------------------------------------

Isone Pro - Binaural simulator

Isone Pro comes as bundle of two plugins:

Isone Pro - for simulation of a stereo loudspeaker setup; and

Isone Pro Surround - for simulation of a multi-channel setup.

With Isone pro, a virtual reproduction system and listening room can now be experienced simply using a high-quality headphones. The virtual reproduction system supports a variety of known reference loudspeakers. Furthermore, the reverb time of the virtual listening room and the distance to the virtual loudspeakers can be fully customized.

-----------------------------------------

Well, I suppose the HD7s must be 'high-quality', because I can hear one hell of a difference, with this plugin and these cans. It's easy to forget you've got them on and you're not listening on speakers. It's uncanny.

Btw, it caused a bit of a stir when he decided to give away his whole pack for free. He has new ones you can buy though. It really is worth reading his biography at the site. Impressive. Very impressive. And his plugins speak for themselves. I've bought a few myself.

16. ElsieEffsee

£130!!

That's about half what I paid for my Motorhead tattoo :)

Do I want these phones? Hell yes!

As the lyrics to Overkill say: Only way to feel the noise when its good and loud!

17. Big-nosed Pengie
    FAIL

WTF?

People pay for a shite frequency response like that? Jezuz!

What was that about fools and their money?

18. h3

I read (in an engineering magazine) how headphones were being built specifically to last 18 months. Stinks.

Technics ones at about £100 last a decade (and even then you can just replace the strap and get the part).

Anything with a name like this on it is almost certainly absolute shite.

19. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Bingo!

Sorry, was just checking the number of song/ band references in the piece... ;-)

This topic is closed for new posts.