back to article Juniper snaps up SDN startup before it even uncloaks

Struggling switch and router supplier Juniper Networks, smacked around in the hardware business by a recovering Cisco Systems and surrounded by a bunch of upstarts who want to virtualize networks and thereby suck all the profits out of hardware, is fighting back by acquiring Contrail Systems. Contrail, which was working on its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Good

I was starting to worry that Juniper lacked anything approaching a decent SDN strategy. I'd hate to see them evaporate during the great commoditisation of networking hardware that is upon us.

We need someone to keep Cisco in check and these upstarts don't quite have the enterprise brand-name chops to do it. Yet. (Arista is close...)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Incorrect article head

Juniper snaps a ex-Juniper Exec Startup before it even uncloaks would be the correct name.

While I have quite a lot of respect for Kirieti and the other people who went to Con trail that affair smells fishy throughout.

If the same people could not do it in JNPR how did they manage to do it Contrail in less than a year? If it did not work out in JNPR for structural and financial reasons before, why it will work now? What is the point of buying back something which split from you because stuff was not working out?

I don't geddit...

This topic is closed for new posts.