The Channel logo

back to article John McAfee on a plane to America

Antiviral fugitive John McAfee is on his way to the USA, after Guatemala booted him out. McAfee's blog features an audio interview he gave to Bloomberg in which he says he has been forced to apologise to the President of Guatemala, as his arrival in the nation coincided with negotiations of a treaty with Belize, the nation he …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
WTF?

Apologize to the President?

Good Lord, this guy is a certifiable lunatic (whose antics are great to watch for sure) but why would the President of a sovereign nation demand his apology? That's just weird that any national leader would be interested enough to even care if Admiral General Crazy McAfee apologized.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Apologize to the President?

Perhaps the apology was written in the memo field.

Silver badge
Happy

The Guatemalan President wanted an apology because McAfee the software ID'd the only working copy of the treaty with Belize as a malware and deleted it, then the President was only told that "it's McAfee's fault!" that the treaty was wrecked.

Either that, or Guatamala's McAfee subscripton autorenewed and the country just received it's credit card statement.

Silver badge
Meh

BONKERS

"Belize Prime Minister Dean Barrow had a more prosaic explanation: "I don't want to be unkind to the gentleman, but I believe he is extremely paranoid, even bonkers."

It's not often you get a Prime Minister with such insight.

Bronze badge
Unhappy

Re: BONKERS

Sadly Lars, I think he might not be far wrong - the last couple of weeks sound like one hell of a manic episode (in a psychological sense). Possibly a closet bipolar having a bit of a breakdown? Not exactly unknown in the tech world...

Steven R

Bronze badge

Why apologise? Let's see: Belize[1] and Guatemala are in the middle of delicate treaty negotiations, and some foreign (to both countries) nutjob absconds from B to G, causing a diplomatic brouhaha of uncertain dimensions. That's why.

[1] I keep wanting to spell this word "British Honduras".

Silver badge
Pint

"but why would the President of a sovereign nation demand his apology? "

Because McAfee is a deranged egotistical loon who makes things up to make himself sound cool?

Joke

No no, the apology is for the McAfee antivirus bloatware he installed on the presidents laptop before he legged it ;)

Anonymous Coward

There's still something missing.

Something to round out the story. Perhaps one or more of the following:

- CIA involvement

- Julian Assange

- alien abduction

- zombies

That should do it.

Silver badge
Go

Re: There's still something missing.

Maybe he's flying Air America instead of American Airlines, that'll cover the CIA angle.....

And you left out LSD mind control experimentation...

Welcome home, John McAfee!!! I anxiously await turning on the news to find out you were arrested for "au naturel" freeclimbing the Empire State Building, wrestling with Secret Service agents while crashing a White House state dinner, being photographed traveling in and out of the Fort Meade NSA headquarters in a tinted-window SUV, getting involved in some kind of public altercation either with or on the side of Lindsay Lohan or getting into a good, old-fashioned Silicon Valley pressfest over Intel's management of your epynomously named former company!!

The possibilities are endless!

Silver badge

- more salt

Bronze badge

...of the bath variety?

Silver badge

If he's flying American Airlines, then the zombie aspect is covered, they are just fetching him his in flight meal.

Anonymous Coward

"The brutes have even made him fly American."

Summary execution without trial.

Gold badge
Black Helicopters

Julian Assange has been abducted by alien zombies working for the CIA?

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

@mutatedwombat: What?

Julian Assange is an alien zombie sent to infiltrate the CIA?

Okay, I can buy the alien zombie bit, but WHY would they want to infiltrate the CIA?

And does that make McAfee the 'good' alien who has been sent to stop the nefarious plot?

Bronze badge

But, but ...

He was already in America ....

/pedant

Pint

The most important question?

Where's that sweet-young-thing 'Sam' (a girl), his 20-year-old squeeze?

Enquiring minds want to know!!!

Re: The most important question?

Good point. Poor wee thing must need comforting >:)

Silver badge

john mcafee, road warrior

staring mel gibson as john mcafee

the screenplay is being written as we speak

Anonymous Coward

Wonder if the Americans will put as much effort

into returning him to Belize as they did trying to get McKinnon, O'Dwyer etc. to the USA?

Bronze badge

Re: Wonder if the Americans will put as much effort

But he can be tried in the US.

Gold badge

The brutes have even made him fly American.

Hahaha. I wish I could upvote the article :)

Thumb Up

You Can

just click "like" (which is odd given the usual articles covering facebook and the general antipathy towards that site around here)

Bronze badge
Childcatcher

Extradition?

Because McAfee has not been charged (or convicted) of the crime, the extradition treaty between the US and Guatemala does not cover the circumstances as they have been stated. The Guatemalan authorities have consistently claimed that McAfee is a person of interest, at least in the news sources I have followed. So they would not be able to get him by that route unless they formally charged him. I am curious as to whether they will change their stance on this or attempt to arrange an interview with McAfee some place in the US.

Anonymous Coward

COD

Send him COD to Belize. He is more than just a person on interest; much more. They have spent a lot of resources just to "talk" to him.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Opinion

Chris Mellor

Drives nails forged with Red Hat iron into VCE's coffin
Sleep Cycle iOS app screenshot

Trevor Pott

Forget big-spending globo biz: it's about the consumer... and he's desperate for a nap
Steve Bennet, ex-Symantec CEO

Chris Mellor

Enormo security firm needs to get serious about acquisitions

Features

Windows 8.1 Update  Storeapps Taskbar
Chinese Buffet self-service
Chopping down the phone tree to scrump low-hanging fruit
An original member of the System/360 family announced in 1964, the Model 50 was the most powerful unit in the medium price range.
Big Blue's big $5bn bet adjusted, modified, reduced, back for more
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Redmond needs to discover the mathematics of trust