The Channel logo

back to article Sinofsky's new blogski: Windows 8 king reborn as management guru

What next for the technology executive who saddled his previous employer with a controversial flagship operating system, polarised management and swiftly left under a cloud? Telling others how to build successful products, of course. Former Windows chief Steve Sinofsky has launched himself as a product development expert with a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

"without adequate explanation"

Who decides what's adequate, Gavin? You?

Anonymous Coward

Re: "without adequate explanation"

Well, Gavin and the rest of the tech media world in general. I don't remember reading anywhere that much of an explanation was given.

Anonymous Coward

Man resigns from job. Presumably complies with notice period clauses and NDAs.

How much notice is "adequate" to anyone except that man's employer? If you quit tomorrow, AC, will your explanation be required?

That's bogus. You don't have to tell anyone why you quit. The only person you're required to tell that you quit at all is your employer.

JPD

If you don't provide proper information about your personal reasons for resignation, you may end up in the Village.

- the new number two,,,,

Silver badge
Holmes

I wonder if he was behind this:

Microsoft says somebody stole its Apple iPads

"Microsoft's campus in Mountain View is presumably loaded with Microsoft's latest and greatest products, but a thief decided to steal five Apple iPads from the company's offices instead"

One can imagine the burglar skillfully swerving the mountains of unsold surface tablets, WP8 handsets and heaps of returned Windows 8 DVD's looking for decent kit, and finding all the Android gear was at home, since that's what the staff use personally, was then forced to take just what they could resell.

Anonymous Coward

Up a creek "without adequate explanation" ..

Regardless as to the semiotic etiology of "without adequate explanation", does anyone have any detailed facts as to the real reasons Sinofsky resigned so suddenly?

Pint

Re: Telling others how to build successful products, of course

Thanks, el Reg, that's made my [Fri]day!

“Real artists ship” - in fact, real artists shit regularly, but ship rather occasionally.

Silver badge

"ad hoc criticisms"

What does that mean? "Formed, arranged, or done for a particular purpose", if a criticism isn't ad hoc, what use is it? Perhaps he meant ad hominem,

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Re: Sinovski was a failure

The cleaner is a threat to Balmers position :D

Anonymous Coward

I don't believe you actually know anything about the management style at MS, I've got a few friends who work there and they assure me it's one of the best places in the industry to work.

Now, who to believe, an anonymised Internet troll (you, just to be clear) with a history of slagging off MS at every opportunity and often at no opportunity or people who actually know.

I really don't know why you feel the need to comment like this on every MS related article, maintaining this level of hate must be so very tiring.

Trollface

Wow, "troll mode on + hardcore", Sinofsky was a failure really? Ignorance is bliss I guess......your post is a failure as it appears many other readers seem to agree.

Silver badge

I don't doubt some people thrive at MS.

I doubt they're people the rest of us would enjoy working with. (Or worse, working for.)

Anonymous Coward

Don't hate me

Cliche time? . . . those who can't teach.

K
Bronze badge
WTF?

whose success is far from guaranteed...

Sure it is...

guaranteed to FAIL!

Sinofsky preaching success, it akin to Bin Laden preaching pacifism.

Silver badge
WTF?

Learning by Shipping

You don't learn by shipping, unless you don't yet know what failure means.

Gold badge

Re: Learning by Shipping

Quite.

"Learning from Experience" sounds like something a professional might do.

"Learning by Shipping" just sounds like "Aww, let's just dump the current shit on some end-users and let them tell us what's broken.".

Silver badge
Trollface

"Sinofsky preaching success, it akin to Bin Laden preaching pacifism."

In addition of course to the implicit comparison of Redmond with Al-Qaeda. Ever thought of improving your postings by toning down the hyperbole? Unless of course you actually do believe that Redmond's anti-trust violations can be compared to 9/11?

WTF?

Re: "Sinofsky preaching success, it akin to Bin Laden preaching pacifism."

What does 9/11 have to do with it? Bin Laden promoted hate and aggression, it was a perfectly valid juxtaposition.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Microsoft promote their profit margin, just as Google and Apple do (albeit a bit less ferociously and with less litigation). Is that terrorism, ShadowedOne? If so, is Larry Page a terrorist too?

Silver badge
Headmaster

Re: "Bin Laden promoted hate and aggression, it was a perfectly valid juxtapostition"

Only if we forget the being guilty of mass murder bit.

FAIL

Re: "Sinofsky preaching success, it akin to Bin Laden preaching pacifism." @dogged

"Microsoft promote their profit margin, just as Google and Apple do (albeit a bit less ferociously and with less litigation). Is that terrorism, ShadowedOne? If so, is Larry Page a terrorist too?"

What in hell have you been smoking, more to the point, do you plan on sharing it with the rest of us?

In case you are posing an actual question. Has Microsoft (or, for that matter, Google or Apple) engaged in a campaign to terrorize a civilian population, no.

K
Bronze badge

dogged, your missunderstanding ShadowedOne.

Bin Laden is not a Pacfist

Sinofsky is not Successful

The fact that neither is what was suggested - That is the comparison... this has FA to do with terrorism, or even inferring that anybody is associated with terrorism.

Bronze badge
Joke

Wrong destination...

I thought he'd be a perfect fit for running Bernard Matthews... except their turkeys sell better.

It's an odd departure in itself, though departing just after Win8's launch rather than before does make sense. Management guru, though? Certainly with hindsight he'd have been better off going out just after Windows *7* launched, not 8.

On the other hand ... Kevin Mitnick's security consultancy is so well known because he eventually screwed up and got caught, not because he was infallible and got away with it all...

Silver badge
Headmaster

>"his management philosophy led to a reorganisation of Microsoft’s product structure during with a cast of middle-ranking execs were sidelined or forced out."

Wow that sentence is barely acceptable in the forums never mind in a professional (don't laugh) news article. I have terrible grammar and spelling myself so if I notice then somebody really screwed the pooch.

Bronze badge
Trollface

HP must be due for a new CEO by now

title says it all

Bronze badge

Re: HP must be due for a new CEO by now

I heard the've been in negotiations with SpongeBob so I doubt Sinofsky's got chance.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Opinion

frustration_anger_irritation_annoyance pain

Felipe Costa

Pressure to perform for stock market bearing down on disties
Columns of coins in the cloud

Michael Cote

Anything that simple to use has got to be complex to set up
Internet of Things

Gavin Clarke

This time, Larry's Oracle is going after the networking giants

Features