back to article EU floats growth plan: Aim power hose of cash at oldsters, web start-ups

The European Commission's new action plan that encourages entrepreneurship in order to boost economic growth says that member states should target their support at the sections of society least likely to be sitting on beanbags in Shoreditch. Groups such as seniors, migrants, the unemployed and women should be encouraged into …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah, next stop Bullshit Roundabout

And I want a beanbag to sit on!

2. Colin Millar
    Big Brother

Horse before cart

As usual for the EU. They think that economic recovery wil come from having more online cake sites.

Your business will work if it is based on a good idea that you can sell to people. Adding a web interface will make no difference whatsoever to a crap idea that no-one wants.

What is it with these eurocrats that they still think that IT = magic wand. The failure rate for web startups suggests that this area should be left to the margins and not become mainstream economic growth policy.

And if they really want to boost small businesses in the UK the best thing they could do would be to get HMRC off their backs.

3. Peter2 Silver badge

I don't think we should sponsor migrants at all.

As a working taxpayer I can't see why I should pay to encourage *more* people to move to our country when we don't have sufficant jobs for the people who live here already.

I can see why employers would be happy with more immigration; foreign workers from eastern europe are willing to work for less, which lets them reduce competition and thus the cost of their wage bill.

However, I don't see how it benefits either me or the country in general.

4. koolholio
    Stop

Too many chiefs, not enough indians

We didnt mean litterally grab a bunch of indians as cheap slaves...

Perhaps this is a repeat of history? Fuelled by the same thing that caused it back then? Greed?

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Did they say they were going to give me some money?

Oh...

I guess not.

6. P_0

The European Commission at it again...

They keep trying this stunt. Over 10 years ago they tried to make Europeans tech innovators and leaders. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisbon_Strategy

There is obviously a lot of problems that the EC/EU could help fix, like reducing red tape, but their idea of a top down solution to Europe's lack of innovation will not work. It never has.

7. James 100
    Alert

Short version:

A top-down framework for entrepreneurship. Sadly, they still haven't figured out that this is much the same oxymoron as centralised autonomy...

The real tragedy is that we get to foot the bill for their latest half-baked pipe dream - again.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like