The Channel logo

back to article Microsoft Surface Pro launch: It's easy to sell out of sod all stock

Microsoft’s Surface Pro went on sale on Saturday, but stockists almost immediately ran into shortages, provoking anger and frustration among potential fondlers. Redmond officially launched the 64GB and 128GB versions of its Intel tablet chunkster online and at selected retail outlets in the US and Canada at the weekend. But it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: MS did not even cover pre-orders in some cases, so they could say "SOLD OUT"

Hey at least you're on topic Eadon.

Bronze badge
WTF?

Re: MS did not even cover pre-orders in some cases, so they could say "SOLD OUT"

Calm down, you nutter.

Thumb Down

Do you have the number that actually sold then Eadon? If so please share. The article only mentioned a rumour from what I can see. Nothing concrete. And no where else is offering more than an estimate.

Could it be that even with your continued one man campaign, people actual are ignoring your rants and still want to buy things from the EVIL Microsoft?

Perhaps Microsoft listened to you too much and started to believe your tripe resulting in them producing too few units (you wish).

Windows

Did MS sack you for some reason?

Bronze badge
Holmes

Eadon, you're boring, go away.

Why does this Chris James think that a surface pro is an ipod upgrade? A surface pro is basically an ultrabook with a removable screen (not saying that's a bad thing, rather nice really), and not a tablet. Strictly speaking, any laptop is an upgrade from a tablet in terms of capability, but it's silly to compare them like that.

Alert

"even with your continued one man campaign"

make that 2 man campaign now... I am starting to agree with everything @Eadon says now.

The dog in the street can see all this for what it is.

#tellingitstraight

Silver badge
FAIL

Mystic Meg makes predictions too. Make them wooly enough or put a long enough timeframe on it and eventually pretty much all predictions come true. For example - I predict the sun will explode. And this - "What is the life span of the sun?" - is a link to back up my thoughts.

I'd be the first to agree that marketing fudge the stats. But given the continual stream of anti-Microsoft FUD that comes from some on here, it's pretty much impossible to judge what extent this fudging is to. This is where links and research come in.

As much as I hate to lower myself to the ranting brigade's level...

RESEARCH FAIL

Bronze badge
Joke

Maybe MS were listening to Eadon's constant rants about MICROSOFT FAIL and decided not to produce too many Surface PROs, expecting it to fail.

They now, of course, have learned that Eadon has a bit of a hair-trigger temper and a tendency to over-react where anything not Google is concerned....

Joke

Eadon we are trying to help you overcome your problem, so please point to the part of the body, on this doll, where Microsoft touched you.

Silver badge

Re: #tellingitstraight

#ThisIsNotTwitter

Bronze badge
Stop

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

ie, it's more likely they simply didn't build enough of the 128Gb version, rather than deliberately try to cripple their sales.

Anonymous Coward

"Eadon, you're boring, go away."

Yep, Eadon is to Microsoft as Obviously! is to Apple. Both are extremely dull and repetitive, but at least Eadon's spelling and grammar is a little less alarming.

It must take a special sort of fixation to spawn camp a red top tech news site, to jump on any story about manufacturer X, and go "mer mer mer mer mer". Just imagine what they could achieve if they had useful skills!

Angel

Re: #tellingitstraight

"#ThisIsNotTwitter"

yet you still used the same format i did, to humorously illustrate a point...?

#ironic :)

Anonymous Coward

" I am starting to agree with everything @Eadon says now.

The dog in the street can see all this for what it is.

#tellingitstraight"

Dear "seanie",

Not everything on These Vasty Internets are Twitter. Kindly go and boil your head.

love,

Other people.

Mushroom

"Kindly go and boil your head."

#done

#whatnext ?

#getasenseofhumourmoron

Silver badge

Eh, from the way he rails against MS, I figured Ballmer had run over his puppy.

This post has been deleted by its author

This post has been deleted by its author

Devil

I am a fanboy of Eadon.

The first 90% of the reasons are that he puts shit on Microsoft in a rather well aimed way.

The second 90% of the reasons are that I really enjoy hating Microsoft - as it adds meaning and value to my otherwise worthless life.

The third 90% of the reasons I support him is that only the jerks down vote his comments... and I hate them too.

Silver badge

On the Eadon train, there ARE no brakes!

I'd go further and say there was no driver at the controls either, apparently.

Silver badge
Angel

coffee meet keyboard.

JDX
Gold badge

No desirable 128GB versions and too many 64GB ones

Wasn't it El Reg who said the SD slot made the 64/128 question moot on Surface... better to buy a 64 version if the price difference is > a 64 gig SD card?

Re: No desirable 128GB versions and too many 64GB ones

El Reg also said that recent droid tablets were better value than ipads...but people are still buying ipads in droves. Sometimes people just don't listen to sense.

Hmmm, I find myself in a strange position. Nice post Eadon I agree. Although I think Microsoft are trying to push the pro more to business the price point they are at puts them at odds with the iPad and that is all the public will see.

Stop

I'm happy to be corrected, but that doesn't really help...because as far as I'm aware, if you want the Surface Pro, to actually store Apps and things on those SD cards, you have to go into regedit and change the default path for the system to save stuff to.

That sounds like something every single person is going to be able to do right out of the box.....

Anonymous Coward

A 64Gb Ultrabook/Surface Pro is pointless. Part of a long tradition in the PC business to introduce a 'marketing model' for the price headline and the actual model any informed customer would buy. This has been happening since the 6502 and 8080 microcomputers in the 70s. Hopefully Surface Pro 2 will have 128Gb/256Gb options.

Apple are the same with the MacBook Air, speaking of which surely the 11" MBA should be the comparison point for Surface Pro. Incidentally, given the Surface Pros extra features such as multitouch, tablet mode, stylus, Windows apps etc. why aren't we reading "MBA is dead" headlines?

JDX
Gold badge

MS on the other hand have a reputation for producing low quality gear

They do? Even with ring-of-death issues, XBox is a premium product in that it is even matching the PS3. Kinect is seen as pretty cool and on the business side, MS peripherals have a great reputation.

To the average punter though, I don't think MS really HAS a reputation on the hardware side.

Silver badge

@Moeluk "store Apps and things on those SD cards"

Apart from games, it's going to be challenging filling even the 23Gb free on the 64Gb version with apps. On my desktop XP machine after 7 years, even with monsters like the MS sdk collections installed and a frankly stupid number of accumulated installs the entire OS partition never used more than 14Gb. Meanwhile Android has proven running apps from SD is a very bad idea and best avoided.

Games of course can eat vast amounts of space but I struggle to see the Surface Pro as a gaming device. Price is too high for the performance delivered. Too high to buy as a toy.

Anonymous Coward

Re: MS on the other hand have a reputation for producing low quality gear

"To the average punter though, I don't think MS really HAS a reputation on the hardware side."

"To the average punter though, I don't think MS really HAS a reputation" - fixed

Re: @Moeluk "store Apps and things on those SD cards"

As a "tablet" though, movies come to mind. It doesn't take long to fill up 23GB with movies if you're not fond of heavy pixellation. The movies on my tablet are 1-2 GB per.

Silver badge

>You have to type the name of your app into a search box

That wouldn't work in Linux... I want a text editor, so I will type 'kate'*. Nothing simpler.

'Kate'... it's short for Bob. Gedit?

Go

@Eadon

"...uses up all of the resources of its hardware for its own bloat and crap, then you have to resort to work arounds that require technical knowledge..."

Sounds like Android.

Windows

Shock Comment from Microsoft HQ

"What? People are actually buying these things?"

WTF?

Re: Shock Comment from Microsoft HQ

Yup. All ██████ of them.

Anonymous Coward

Easy to sell out

When you have f**k all to sell.

The fanboys bought all three on sale.

Silver badge
Stop

Re: Wow you're witty

Didn't even bother to read the bit under the headline? Just had to come straight in here and spread your wisdom?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Easy to sell out

Well that's two down votes, just waiting for the 3rd buyer now.

Silver badge

This is a standard tactic...

...used by Apple, Google, Nintendo et al. Deliberately under supply, then loads of clueless rags will run stories like "ZOMG! Surface Pro sold out!"

And I'm not surprised no one wanted the 64GB version. How much room would be left after Win8 has been vomited into it? 2 bytes?

At least the Surface Pro can have a proper OS installed on it.

Re: This is a standard tactic...

"At least the Surface Pro can have a proper OS installed on it."

Really cos I heard it was shipping with Windows 8 installed on it, Windows 8 is not a proper OS, hell it's not even a semi-coherant mess of an OS.

Silver badge

I presume it is a standard x86-64 machine, so you could put anything you want on it. Maybe not.

Silver badge
Headmaster

Re:Re: This is a standard tactic...

"...can have..."

That's the difference.

Silver badge

"Really cos I heard it was shipping with Windows 8 installed on it, Windows 8 is not a proper OS, "

Hence why I said "can have" and not "does have".

Happy

....except Secure Boot won't let you...yes you can get around it with a linux pre-loader, but thats just the point...you shouldn't have to 'work around' stuff, to get stuff done.

"Can have" should not imply, you require a level of technical knowledge, capable to make a hackintosh, to make it happen.

Anonymous Coward

Slag off Windows as "not proper" in some unspecified way, check

Call secureboot a conspiracy, check

I'll guess these as well:

Doesn't have a job in the real world, check

Thinks Eadon is a well balanced commentator, check

Genuinely doesn't understand why people use Windows when Linux is much more easy, check

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Opinion

Love

Chris Mellor

Tandberg and Sphere3D deals offer hope after 18 bad ones
Fraud image
Openstack log

Features

No, silly... he was the fall guy for years of Finnish folly
Fraud image
Frodo and the Ring