back to article HP: We will never sell 100 per cent through the channel

HP's EMEA boss Peter Ryan can't foresee a time when it will sell entirely through the channel but has "no problem" if the level of business transacted directly with the customer shrinks considerably. His comments come after CEO Meg Whitman told folks attending last week's Global Partner Conference that she will not tolerate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Godfather
    Meh

Icing's getting crusty and hard

"Channel partners account for 70 per cent of HP's turnover, but Ryan said if this increased to "80 or 90 per cent I'd have no problem with that".

But if it did, I'd be out of a job... !

I cannot fathom out why manufacturers simply cannot be honest, up-front and clear in their so-called channel strategy. If they were, their partners could go about their business knowing a segment of opportunity is there for them to scrap over. What partners want is an undertaking that vendors will stick to their chosen direct percentage and not enlarge it or even diminish it without advising partners. Simply suggesting as they have in the above quote is meant to create intense 'fervour and expectation' of a greater channel chunk of the pie when reality is the bit partners have is already a trifle stale given HP's woes of recent times. Keep the 30% Mr Ryan but refresh and re-bake the cake.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like