back to article Microsoft cuts to core on BizTalk Server price hike

Some Microsoft customers running the latest version of BizTalk Server can expect a massive hike in their bill under a licensing change being ushered in on 1 April. Redmond is scrapping its per-processor license for BizTalk Server 2013 and will instead begin charging users according to the number of cores running on their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yet another reason why its not worth upgrading

So what happens let say (hypothetically) that the server is ticking over and some of the cores are parked. Do you get a refund?

I was tasked to set up a 6 office linked system with a SQL hub. It was recommended that SQL 2012 was used (had just been released at the time) but earlier versions would be fine (basically the tools helped the developers) but the costs were just ridiculous, something like £7000. In the end I was able to source SQL 2005 Processor edition for £1000 and it worked fine for the customers needs.

MS are killing their brand with bad software and price hikes

2. Jay108
    WTF?

Same at AC

Microsoft are desperately try to break into the banking sector however the prices they are suggesting are even ridiculous to a major bank in the UK. Per core just seems OTT especially for Biztalk, wonder if they will do this for Server 2012 or 2012 R2 next, Sharepoint, Exchange? Even with Active SA why would you restrict your current user-base, cost them significantly more per upgrade and at the same time drive new customers away?

When you think about it; they are trying to get new customers, lock them in with good deals and then price hike the next version to lock them in. Happily the banks (from what I have seen) are running away and staying very well away from Microsoft. Although I do wonder how much longer before I am forced to say "new features we need are in the new version / old version isn't supported anymore / send Microsoft some blood diamonds".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Same at AC

Yeah, because when I worked at a certain three lettered Scottish bank, we didn't use any MS products.

Apart from on the ~2000 Windows servers, that is.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

slogan change

Shame you've already trademarked "Biting the had that feeds them"

4. david 63

Shooting themselves in the foot...

...maybe intentionally.

I suspect, at least in the UK, BTS is a loss making proposition. What better way to shed customers and minimise the impact of stopping support than to price themselves out of the market.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They are trying to become like IBM

It is a pity that BTS does not scale anywhere nearly as well as something like WebSphere Message Broker.

I have seen 10 BTS servers replaced by one WMB Server.

With these price hikes BTS will become even more of a 'sorry but no thanks' reply to the MS salesteam when they ask about upgrade pricing.

Even SQLServer can cost you a whole lot more than DB2 if you look at the low end Data Warehousing options.

You would think that MS wanted to price themselves out of the business. This is a shame as SQLServer is not all that bad but don't get me going on that POS called SharePoint.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Virtualisation anyone?

If you plan to virtualise BizTalk (or SQL for that matter) then previously the socket option hammered you for every potential virtualisation host the server could reside on. So if I have a vmware cluster of four two socket hosts then I had to buy eight socket licences. This is if the VM itself only had four cores assigned.

The move to per core licencing supports the move to virtualising more of your estate as it makes it CHEAPER to do so and anyone who says you can't have SQL or BizTalk perform in a VM environment needs to reevaluate in my opinion.

7. robinonaf
    Thumb Up

London Network Support

BizTalk Server helps businesses increase productivity, improve collaboration and communication, and streamline organizational management across a wide range of business scenarios.In my company, we are running the latest version of BizTalk Server can expect a massive hike in their bill under a licensing change being ushered in on 1 April.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like