back to article Acer's tiny raft of profit smashed onto rocks by Gateway and co

The much touted recovery at PC maker Acer didn't show up in 2012: a write-down on its assets dragged its accounts into the red. The vendor said its sales in 2012 slid 9.6 per cent year on year to NT$429.5bn ($14.4bn, £9.53bn), bagging it a razor-thin operating profit of NT$1.03bn ($34.6m, £22.8m). But that was wiped out by an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. asdf

hmm

Live by the Wintel sword ... Unless your Lenovo that is.

1. Shagbag
      Headmaster

Re: hmm

You're = you are

1. asdf
        Unhappy

Re: hmm

Yep so noted but after the edit button has disappeared so it's there for the long run now.

2. Don Jefe
    Meh

Packard Bell?

Holy shit. I honestly didn't know Packard Bell were still a thing. Why would someone want to own it?

1. asdf
      Trollface

Re: Packard Bell?

I would say as a tax write-off for the certain goodwill mark down for owning such a toxic brand but Acer has hardly had profits to tax lately.

3. stephajn

Explains something...

Explains why my Iconia A200 isn't getting anymore updates although it is barely a year old. Acer can't afford to maintain it.

4. banjomike

Gateway kit was good

Fast, reliable, easy to upgrade, not puke coloured beige.

1. Ceiling Cat
      Megaphone

Re: Gateway kit was good

Still is. My most recent Gateway box came with excellent specs for a (just barely) sub-$1000CAD machine. So, for that matter, did my previous Gateway, which is only 2 or 3 years old. Even my Tablet is a Gateway.

Acer/gateway build quality is miles ahead of HP. My HP Pavilion Elite 9505mf suffers badly from airflow problems, partially because the used a sub-atx case and partially because there wasn't even an attempt at cable management. Also, HP's cases mount the motherboard on the wrong side - the CPU is Dow near the bottom of the case, and the video card is up i n an unventilated area. In the case of my HP box, a video capture card and a wifi card helped to strangle the GPU's supply of fresh air even further.

5. KjetilS

Reliability might be a factor

Once upon a time, Acer actually made good, reliable laptops with good performance for a reasonable sum of money.

These days, they seemed to have changed that strategy to making the cheapest possible kit, no matter how many corners they had to cut to do it.

I might consider them again some time in the future, if they start making laptops that doesn't fail with the black screen of death as soon as you sneeze too close to them.

These days I'd go for Asus or a Thinkpad instead, depending on the price range.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like