back to article Dragons' Den badboy's Expansys burns sales, profits up in smoke

Marlow-based online smartmobe dealer Expansys - owned by Dragons' Den moneybags Peter Jones - issued a profit warning this morning citing weaker-than-expected trading conditions. The AIM-listed wireless tech web retailer, which also distributes SIM cards for mobe networks and operates ecommerce and other software projects on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neill Mitchell

Well, they could try a competitive pricing policy

Seems to work for Amazon. Oh and perhaps stop offering devices weeks before they are actually shipping without offering any sort of firm delivery date would also help. These things tend to hack off your customers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well, they could try a competitive pricing policy

Selling things with UK plugs and English instructions would also be welcome.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Well, they could try a competitive pricing policy

True. My Nokia Qi Charger shipped with a two pin plug.

I also bought an Orange wifi radio which was also a two pin jobbie (although I was expecting that).

2. Zola
    FAIL

There's nothing right about Expensive

They're in prime position to exploit one of the hottest retail markets of a generation, and yet I would never consider buying anything from them now or in future. Their brand stinks as far as I'm concerned, they acquired a bad reputation from years ago, and are frankly uncompetitive on pricing and so lose out to smaller, friendlier and more nimble retailers such as Clove.

They've got all the infrastructure to run a successful online business, but their approach to actually doing business is all wrong.

1. Robert E A Harvey
      Unhappy

Re: There's nothing right about Expensive

I got burned on trying to return a defective HP phone, and will never buy again.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: There's nothing right about Expensive

To give 'em credit here, it's not like they're the only ones.

Anyone know of a shiny-toy box shifter that actually gives a rat's arse about after-sales service? I've yet to find one.....

3. The Godfather
    Coat

Feel the chill..

'There may be trouble ahead

But while there's music and moonlight and love and romance

Let's face the music and dance

Before the fiddlers have fled

Before they ask us to pay the bill and while we still have the chance

Soon we'll be without the moon, humming a different tune and then

There may be teardrops to shed

So while there's moonlight and music and love and romance

4. Buzzword

Dead business model

Their time in the market is over. A few years ago we had dozens, perhaps hundreds of suppliers all offering PDAs and semi-smart phones of various flavours. Expansys was the #1 shop to find unusual creatures such as the HP iPAQ, the O₂ XDA, the Dell Axim, or the lesser-spotted offerings from HTC, Dopod, Qtec, Fujitsu, Palm, etc. They also sold sat-navs from a myriad of companies. (In fact I look back on such times fondly, when Windows Mobile was the dominant OS.) Today everyone just wants an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy, and they can buy those from their local Phones4u. Expansys no longer offer anything different.

5. djstardust
    Stop

Quite simply

They are too expensive.

Same as Comet, Same as DSG, same eventual outcome......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Quite simply

Been buying electrical goods for over 15 years online now.

Never once bought from Expansys. Just too expensive. Companies like dabs.com and dialaphone.co.uk are far cheaper. Companies like Comet and DSG are in a somewhat different situation. People will go in to try and buy a product unless there is an Argos next door.

The great thing about Argos is that the customer services will show you a product from the warehouse before you buy or you could just return product within 30 days.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Quite simply

With the rise of stores like Tesco Direct there is no need to wait days for a product to be delivered. If you have to return then weeks for a refund.

6. Spudbynight
    FAIL

Majority?

Since when did a 41% shareholding become a majority?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Majority?

Um... When none of the other share holders have more than 40%?!

1. Dexter Berlekey
        FAIL

Re: Majority?

Erm, Majority is defined as having more than the reset combined, i.e. greater than 50%

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So long as they can keep paying Jones rent on the building, then making a loss is a good thing for tax reasons...

8. jason 7
    Facepalm

Nothing to do with...

...all those folks ordering Nexus 4 phones direct from Google then?

9. P_0

Why is Peter Jones a "bad boy"? From the few DD shows I've watched he isn't ruder than the other business people. He's just a little bit blunt with people with silly ideas. It's not as if he's bit the head off a bat or anything.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good. I can see why.

I bought a Nexus One from them, they sent me a German phone despite it being "SIM free, unlocked" (unlocked yes, but sourced from Vodafone Germany).

When the power button died (common defect) HTC UK wouldn't help me as it was a German phone, and it took Expansys months to look at and fix it.

When it happened a second time they didn't even do that - just claimed it was out of warranty (it wasn't, 2 year warranty) and then said it had water damage (despite being in an Otterbox and not dunked in water at any point). I gave up and bought a new phone - not from that shambles of a company.

This topic is closed for new posts.