back to article Dell buy: Icahn puts more cash on table than Blackstone or Mike D

As El Reg expected, the deals offered separately by private equity firms Blackstone Group and Icahn Enterprises to take over IT giant Dell are not as generous as some have been arguing the company is worth. And, ironically, the company backed by activist investor Carl Icahn is offering considerably less than Icahn himself had …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan Paul
    Devil

Mark my words ...The End of Dell

Folks,

Please take note of my prediction, any takeover of Dell will result in a quick and fiery demise.

That goes double if Icahn is involved. (better get some third party warranties, post haste)

1. ItsNotMe
      Thumb Up

Re: Mark my words ...The End of Dell

Right you are.

If Ichan gets his slimy paws on Dell, he will gut the company, and sell off the bits to make himself a huge profit, just as he has done with countless other companies.

He has absolutely no feelings for the people who work for the companies he raids, he is solely in it for the money he can pull out of a company, and put in his own pocket.

He is a dirtbag of the highest order.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge
        Devil

Yeah, but this is Dell... who cares? I won't lose any sleep if it sinks w/o a trace. Icahn needs to hit up Best Buy, Nokia & HP next.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"If Ichan gets his slimy paws on Dell, he will gut the company, and sell off the bits to make himself a huge profit, just as he has done with countless other companies."

Yes, he is not trying to be coy about it. He is going to load it up with debt to take the company private and then probably sell it off to the highest bidder. I understand how you could do something like that with Motorola, which Icahn did, but I don't understand where he thinks he is going to sell Dell's divisions. Who, for instance, would be in the market for Dell's PC business... or server business? It is not like any of the major US IT companies, HP, IBM, Oracle, Cisco, etc, would want those units. It is not as though there is a ton of IP value or brand value in any of it... which there was in Motorola. He must have some thoughts on selling parts of it to Samsung, Toshiba or some Asian low cost players. Even there, would buying Dell do something for those companies they could not do for themselves? If they want to make low cost Intel PCs/servers, they can just go ahead and make them. They don't need to buy Dell to do it.... There is always the possibility that he is going to do the standard PE move and just load it down with debt to pay out massive dividends to the shareholders, himself and his partners. That is what he originally called on the Board to do. A one time, massive dividends to shareholders.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like Dell is getting out for very good money...

Seems that Michael Dell has realised his company is on the downwards slide and is getting out for the highest possible capital. It seems quite a cunning plan.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Looks like Dell is getting out for very good money...

It seems like, if that is what he wanted to do, he would support one of the other two plans as they would allow him to cash out his 14% at a higher value. I think his plan was to buy the company at a very reasonable price from the shareholders with SLP. Then turn around the company, or try, without Wall Street hassling him every five minutes about their projections for the next quarter.... Maybe then, at some future point, sell it back to public shareholders at a higher price.

3. Tom 35

activist investor

You need a name that's more truthful. You have trick cyclists for not-real-scientists, you need a name for not-real-investors. Something that captures the greed and total disregard for others or the future.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: activist investor

Suit and tie barbarians.

After all, they do raid and pillage any company they board, leaving behind smoldering wreck and ruin.

Or, just use the phrase that's been around forever... robber barons.

1. Disco Dance Donkey

I like this moniker, and having moved to an environment for which a suit and tie is de rigueur I shall appropriate it for my job title. I wonder how well it will go down on LinkedIn.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A trick cyclist is a psychiatrist - rather more specific than your definition.

3. Euripides Pants
      Pirate

Pirates.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They had a name for it in the 80s, corporate raiders.

4. Down not across

Investor? More like parasite.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Possibly...

Something that rhymes with Truckin'Tanker ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like