back to article Next from Microsoft: 'Blue', the Windows 8 they hope you don't hate

Windows Blue - the supposedly leaked sequel to Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system - will apparently look a lot more like Windows Phone 8 and allow users to further personalise their computers. Copies of what appears to be build 9364 of Windows Blue are circulating on peer-to-peer file-sharing networks; once the alpha-grade …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. RyokuMas
    Coat

As long as...

... I can still get "Desktop" as my top-left tile, I won't complain too much...

2. Craigeena
    FAIL

nothing to see here

Barely enough to count as a service pack, so the 'next' release is still the same crap that nobody wants.

Wake me up when a real windows 9 raises its head somewhere in the torrents.

1. mmeier

Re: nothing to see here

"Blue" is the codename for the service pack style release concept. So this IS likely a Service Pack.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: nothing to see here

Nobody wants? are you sure you can vouch for every single member of the human race?

Guess what, tastes vary. Not everyone likes One Direction despite them being very popular. So I guess because so many people do like them all the other people who don't should be forced to listen to it and stop choosing to listen to something else?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC 18:49GMT - Re: nothing to see here

Whatever! Hopefully my Windows 7 is good until 2020 so at that time I'll jump straight to Windows13.

3. GregC
    Stop

Resizeable/groupable tiles - meh

If the things are still compulsory, I'll continue to pass, thanks.

1. Luther Blissett

Re: Resizeable/groupable tiles - meh

I installed Classic Start Menu 5 mins after Win 8, and I haven't seen a tile for months.

1. GregC

I didn't install Windows 8, I haven't seen a tile since the Consumer Preview.

Microsoft presumably would like to sell their product. Unless/until I have the option, without messing about with 3rd party add ons, to have a "classic" mode (or whatever you want to call it) then I will continue to not buy it*. It's pretty clear I'm not alone in this.

*I may well not buy it even then, of course. Win 7 continues to be working just fine here, and next time I need to update my work hardware it will quite likely be a Linux + VM for when I need Windows. Nevertheless, as things stand right now it's a guaranteed lost sale.

2. James Anderson

On my xp box I have 382 files in 144 folders. How any serious user could migrate to windows 8 without a decent start menu is a sign of micrisoft's insanity

As it is I have to waste time removing useless tiles every time I install anything on my touchy feel slab.

1. Danny 14
          Go

I exercised my downgrade rights and kept W7 on all my machines. The same as I did with XP when vista came along.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I have about 600 shortcuts on my Windows 8 All Apps menu - bet I can migrate to any of them much faster than you can on XP!

3. mmeier

And those 144 folders all end up in your "start" menu? Wow - talk about unusable/deep structure. IIRC the "last used" popup is a Win7 (maybe Vista) feature.

My start menu never had more than the programs in it (< 72) and the rest was done through them. If I really need documents - I pin them on the desktop. Easier now than ever since my programs are pinned on the seperat Modern screen.

4. hahnchen
    Thumb Down

Think I'll wait for Windows 9

Or until they decide to row back on all the Metro bullshit and recognise that some old fogeys still like using a mouse.

1. reno79
      Facepalm

Re: Think I'll wait for Windows 9

No idea what you're on about, my mouse works perfectly in Windows 8

1. jonathanb Silver badge

The mouse works perfectly. Windows 8's response to mouse interactions on the other hand ...

2. John Wilson

I'm that rare breed that actually likes Windows 8, and also thinks the Surface is a perfectly good tablet. But let's be honest, the mouse does not work perfectly in Windows 8, especially in the Metro interface.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My mouse works just fine on windows 8, not sure what type of mouse you are using but if it's an old fogey like you maybe it is time for some upgrades to the 21st century!!

Hint: Get rid of the rollerball mouse too!!!

3. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

I agree with hahnchen, the mouse does NOT work in Windows 8. Here's the proof - I insert a CD, and get a pop-up on the screen that says

"DVD Drive (D:) OFFICE11

Tap to choose what happens with this disc"

So I tap the screen with my mouse, but get no response. Nothing. Tap again. Still nothing. Tap twice quickly, but no difference. It's not until I CLICK that I get a response. Tapping does not work, so at least part of the mouse interface for Windows 8 DOES NOT WORK WHEN YOU DO EXACTLY WHAT THE FUCKING SCREEN TELLS YOU TO DO.

5. vonRat
    Go

What OS?

Every version of Windows should have a 'Classic' UI option emulating Win 95. This would remove 99% of the complaints about a new release as the majority of users can continue to completely ignore the operating system and run their favourite applications with the minimum delay.

1. Turtle

@vonRat: Re: What OS?

"Every version of Windows should have a 'Classic' UI option emulating Win 95. This would remove 99% of the complaints... "

Well that, and a decent file manager. As a li'l sidenote, I'll add that the WinXP Windows Explorer qualifies as a "decent file manager" only in comparison to all succeeding versions of Windows Explorer in subsequent Windows releases.

1. DJV Silver badge
        FAIL

Windows Explorer

It will only be a "decent file manager" when it manages to stop occasionally crashing for no apparent reason (as it has done since Windows 95) and they give us the option to turn off the stupid "jump down the screen 2 seconds later*" that they added in Windows 7. Classic Shell can sometimes fix the latter but often only after you call up the CS settings and OK them again.

* this is what I mean: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/windows-explorer-expands-folders-inappropriately/50a81b05-da98-4d55-821d-55ffbbd0e998

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Windows Explorer

A decent file explorer?

Is this a reference to the old two-pane file explorer that disappeared at the same time MS tried to claim Internet Explorer was an integral part of the OS in a bid to avoid an anti-trust ruling?

I get on okay with Windows explorer on 7... it doesn't crash too often, and the Win7 'Snap to half screen' feature makes it easier to recreate the old two-pane functionality.

2. Richard Plinston

Re: What OS?

> Every version of Windows should have a 'Classic' UI option

Maybe users would want that, but it would fail to meet Microsoft's future plans. MS's mobile market share has decreased from 42% of the US smartphone to less than 3%. Eventually this would impact on desktops as users move to Android, ChromeOS and OS/X or even Linux as being more familiar to them than the archaic Win95 derived UI.

In order to make Metro UI familiar MS needs to force it down users throats until they love it. Then they will demand that UI on phones and tablets. Making it optional it not an option.

1. Danny 14

W7 explorer was far better than XP explorer IMHO. The fact that it wouldnt tank large file copies due to one file being iffy was the biggest bonus. Various copy/rename functions and a proper "just remember what I chose the first time dammit!" options were good too.

Cant say ive had it crash many times, if it does then unless it is a hard blue screen error then it picks itself up again neatly.

2. Michael Habel
        FAIL

Only thing is they have about as much a chance of succeeding as you or I hitting the £400.000.000 €uro Millions Lottery.

This strategy is doomed to (See Icon)...

6. Irongut

When will they learn that I don't want to spend hours rearranging / resizing tiles? I have work / games / etc to do. It's one of the main reasons I dislike TIFKAM. I want an unobtrusive system that automatically arranges itself into alphabetical order like, oh I don't know, the start menu in Win7!

As for the advanced feature that allows you to have two whole windows on the screen at once!!! Wow how did they think of that. I currently have 4 windows open on one screen and 3 on another in Win7. Multiple windows are part of my workflow. Hell even my phone can do two windows at once!

Making Win8 even more like WinPho is not the way to fix it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It seems that their UI designer rides Harley bike.

HOGs are notorious for spending time customizing their bikes instead of riding, so the same mindset applied here ..

2. Spiracle

So this is two non-overlapping windows sharing the screen like er... Windows 1 in 1983?

Some progress, I suppose.

1. mmeier

How many programs can a ARM toy tablet run at the same time? One or One?

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: How many programs...

The raspberry pi uses a "toy" ARM processor and manages to run a normal desktop OS. That's *probably* because 2013's "toys" have more oomph than anything you could buy in previous years, but it *might* also have something to do with the OS not being a bloated steaming pile.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Sorry but that's BS. The tile UI is about supporting touch screens well.

When Microsoft released XP tablet edition people moaned they couldn't use the whole OS with touch. So they produce a fully touch capable OS and people are now complaining that their desktop is gone.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I think you'll notice that you made your own statement redundant

"XP tablet edition"

See that little word in the middle there, that word, tablet, you know, for small touch screen machines.

As I sit here reclined in my sofa my monitor (tv screen) is a good 3 meters away from me, so yeah, I couldn't give a fuck about touch, also all my computers have normal stand up monitors and only an idiot would think touch screen was anything but an RSI/Health and Safety law suite waiting to happen.

So argue the pro's of metro as much as you like, but don't bother talking about its touch capabilities on a normal desktop or laptop pc.

1. mmeier

Actually the "tablet" in XP Tablet edition refered to 10-14'' tablets WITHOUT any touch - pen only WACOM or NTRIG digitizers back then. Even today they have the option "disable smear mode" as part of the control panel - and many users do.

And once you have a penable - it beats a notebook in truely mobile use AND can still be one on a desk (BT keyboard/mouse) even with adjustable distance between keyboard and screen for the "pure" tablets (Convertibles/Hybrids are like notebooks)

2. Steven Roper

@AC 18:53

When Microsoft released XP tablet edition people moaned they couldn't use the whole OS with touch. So they produce a fully touch capable OS and people are now complaining that their desktop is gone.

Why do we have to have one or the other exclusively? We could have, I don't know, two versions, so they could offer both a desktop version, for those who want to use big monitors, mouse and keyboard, and a tablet version, for use with touch screen devices. You, know, something called choice, that radical concept where you get the privilege of making decisions about what kind of interface you prefer to use to do a particular job?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC 18:53

How many versions are really needed, regular win8 already has both and works fine here, they gave choice and the majority of people cant handle the choice!! as proven by the number of crackhead comments here how windows 8 sucks so badly because you switch between metro ui and desktop ohhh noooz

2. mmeier

And a pi is - NOT a tablet! Currently all ARM tablets run castrates OOB - be they iOS, Fragmentdroid or Win/RT. The only ARM tablet in production that barely qualified for "tablet pc" is the Note series. Barely since the software is at best WinXP quality in the critical areas like Handwriting, often not even that

As soon as I get to non-mobile devices the small benefit an ARM may have in power consumption is lost and the Atoms, even the aging CTrails, win hands down.

2. Paul Shirley

@mmeier

"How many programs can a ARM toy tablet run at the same time?"

Why should your cheap, battery dependent, small screened, input deficient ARM toy dictate the behaviour of my high end, hex core, multimonitor, mains powered PC?

Microsoft cross promotional marketing requirements is not an acceptable answer.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"How many programs can a ARM toy tablet run at the same time? One or One?"

Unless it runs Windows RT - in which case it can run multiple screens and multiple applications at the same time!

2. Glenn Amspaugh
        Mushroom

What goes around...

When Xerox-PARC let Apple engineers view it's GUI work, the Apple guys mistakenly thought they had seen overlapping windows. They then clean sheeted designed that into the Lisa OS. Guess MS needs to send some of their Win8 guys over to Xerox. Or maybe just as far as the Win7 area?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: What goes around...

The fact that people have two or even three monitors is testament to the fact that multiple windows and overlapping doesn't work well in reality if you need to look at two things regularly.

3. mmeier

Hours? Try minutes. Ask yourself honestly how many programs do you use regularly. Less than 80 most likely including games. And those fit nicely on the Modern start screen. The "rarely used" are quickly launched through the very powerful search.

As for the "multiple windows" - where is the problem? Your "workflow" will use classic applications and those work like they did in Win7. The "multi windows" only applies to Modern apps

7. Levente Szileszky
    FAIL

Lipstick on a pig...

...unless they bring our Start Menu back, period.

READ MY LIPS, you bald, fat, clueless, arrogant angry chair-throwing beancounter: REGULAR START MENU OR NO WINDOWS 8 ON MY NETWORK (100+ workstations), period.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lipstick on a pig...

Amen!

Until M$ return the Start Menu, they can kiss my arse - not of the left cheek, not on the right cheek, but right in the groove.

1. Anonymous Custard

Come on - that's an insult to pigs. I mean, bacon sarnie, sausage sarnie, chops, the bounty is endless!

I'm not sure what put me off more in the video, what was being presented or who/how it was being done. Either way, no-go from me either.

1. Rukario
          Devil

@Anonymous Custard "bacon sarnie, sausage sarnie, chops, the bounty is endless!"

Indeed, and why would you want to spoil any of those delicacies by adding synthetic substitutes for whale blubber?

1. Danny 14

I too hate server 2012 but I do like the VM licencing changes saving me money so thats why I used it. W8 got downgraded to W7 until there is a robust cheaply licensed (multiple PCs) start menu widget I can supplant into W8.

On a second note, I did (for shit n giggles) backup and restore to hyperV VM from 2008R2 to 2012 to see if it would actually work. It did! I never thought it would have been possible but it did work.

2. jbuk1
      FAIL

It's hilarious you think your 100 workstations mean anything.

1. K
        Holmes

jbuk1, jokes on you..

His 100 workstations might not mean much, but there are hundreds of thousands of IT Managers and System Administrators out there with a similar point of view... If that doesn't mean something, then M$ really have lost the plot.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Steve78

I decided it won't be appearing on my 55,000+ workstations.

Regrettably, I also hate Server 2012. Maybe it's me that's the problem. Maybe I need to spend more time learning how to make 2012 work for me, but at the moment 2008 R2 remains my server platform of choice.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like