back to article Is it me or did cloud marketing suddenly get really weird?

As cloud computing shakes up the IT industry, marketing departments are going into overdrive attempting to somehow – no, anyhow – gain what they call "traction." And it's starting to get weird. We here at Vulture West appreciate that companies need to get the message out there, but everyone is prone to cock-ups, and the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

re. Bootnote

I've had an idea for a jewel encrusted wireless mouse that can be worn around the neck as a stylish pendant. Fund me via Kickstarter to get an early limited edition with your initials inlaid using sapphire (for men) or rose quartz (for women).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is why ..

.. I give marketing a seriously stiff ignoring.

It's bad enough to have every board level goon asking for "cloud stuff" or (worse) suggesting to "use the cloud" for any IT issue they come across (instead of fixing the business process that IT has been forced to rescue) - any sales droid trying this on by phone or in person will invoke my wrath and utmost creativity to go after them and make them really, really sorry. Unless they buy the beer of course - I'm prepared to suspend my wrath for a while for that. Temporarily. Another one, thanks.

Where was I?

1. drunk.smile

Re: This is why ..

Ignoring marketing is the worst you can do, that's when we really start to work:

[Obligatory xkcd] http://xkcd.com/125/

I've been referring to anything using a hosted database as the cloud for a while in board meetings now, management seem to approve as they plan buzzword bingo.

3. Securitymoose
    Black Helicopters

Three characters sum up the cloud - E2E

Would anyone in their right minds want to entrust their valuable data to a third party after seeing how the NHS and others are being held to ransom now?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Three characters sum up the cloud - E2E

You just mad 'coz it's styling on you.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No surprise

Wall Street and Cloud marketeers have a substance abuse poblem with crack.

5. ecofeco Silver badge
    Windows

This is what happens...

...when you drink too much of your own kool aid.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

So let me get this straight…

OpenStack have this "Dope & Stack" duo advertising it, and Microsoft have No Clue?

Isn't the latter what we've been saying for a long time now?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like