back to article Microsoft touts business features of Windows 8.1

Much of Microsoft's marketing push for Windows 8 has focused on consumers, but Redmond took time at its annual TechEd conference in New Orleans to explain that its forthcoming Windows 8.1 update will include lots of new enhancements for enterprises, as well. For the first time, Microsoft confirmed that Windows 8.1 will indeed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. hplasm
    Meh

An impressive selection of features.

I wonder how many will work?

Remember Longhorn. That turned out well.

2. ChrisM

Arse backwards as usual

Start off with a phone like os and then change it for the enterpise...

Bit like their usability/security model....

1. Mer Ner
      Coat

Re: Arse backwards as usual

Esra?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Same pig, new lipstick. I'll stick with Windows 7.

1. JDX Gold badge

W7 is Vista with new lipstick and it's great. W8 is fundamentally a tweaked W7 with no makeup :)

No reason W8 can't be good with a bit of tweaking and actually, these sound like decent changes.

1. Tom 35

a tweaked W7 with no makeup

More like a tweaked W7 wearing a mud mask.

1. Belardi

Re: a tweaked W7 with no makeup

But a mud mask is used to make someone look better, once its washed up.

Windows 8 is still a 1980's era ugly old bitch wearing a tank top and skirt to look cool.

5. adnim

Useful.

Of course the majority of these features have been implemented and have been in use by many admins of NT/Win2000/Server with the aid of scripting and third party apps for years. Nice of MS to make things a little easier.

Still, I'm happy that I don't have to support Windows and its users anymore..

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It all sounds good.....on the surface. My question is how easy it will be to use these new "features" and what their limitations are. Is there a demo of 8,1 somewhere to try these?

Not bashing, but MS talks big but delivers small. People are wise to talk. they want to try it first. I'm with them.

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

"It all sounds good.....on the surface"

I see what you did there. An accurate and succint summation.

2. John Sanders
      Holmes

Like any other windows really

It will not be "that" easy and will have lots of non-obvious limitations, obvious ones, and the classic gotchas associated with anything that Microsoft implements and that sounds really good.

There fixed it for you.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

+1 for the pun

post required

4. hplasm
      Devil

"how easy it will be to use these new "features"...?"

It will probably require CMD and Powershell and much RegEdit...

It just works.

7. Nathan 13
    WTF?

WOW, NOT WORTHY

I can still be bent over, but will be permitted to boot to my own desktop now. Where do I sign up to my bending over, I am not worthy!!

8. An0n C0w4rd

Patents

AFAIR Apple got into trouble for automatically connecting to a VPN when resources behind it were accessed. Wonder if MS has paid the appropriate fees.

9. Chairo

ActiveX

Internet Explorer 11 will scan ActiveX extensions before executing them

Real progress would have been along the line "Internet Explorer 11 will not execute ActiveX extensions any more". Everything else is half assed.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: ActiveX

But it's OK for Firefox and Chrome to run native code in plugins?

10. Tom 35

Do companies have this stuff? ability to print using Wi-Fi Direct, share the screen using Miracast, pair with printers using near field communication (NFC),

and have Windows 8.1 devices act as Wi-Fi hotspots

Random hotspots, just what everyone wants.

1. mmeier

WIDI (Miracast is to new for most companies) is not that uncommon. The receiver box is small and carrying one when visiting a customer is convenient. Plug the VGA from the beamer in and you have a fully mobile device for presentation or handing around the table. Same for house-internal use.

WIFI-Direct to a localized printer using WPA2 and a solid, regular changing key - sure why not. Have this for consultants/guests etc. The unit is NOT in the main network

11. Levente Szileszky
    FAIL

As always, it's ass-backwards due to complete lack of understanding...

...aye, I will tell everybody here that we will replace all their Android and iOS tablets, phones etc, with a bunch of Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone devices, solely to be able to manage them with MS-based BYOD-management solution...

...or I might just simply install the new BlackBerry Enterprise Services 10 for free and pay $99/device as I go and easily manage iOS, Android and BB10 devices, down to the last details (latter even supports isolated work and private areas so I can limit movements of my info, apps etc but cannot check those kinky pics of the wife)...

...hmm, I wonder which one I will choose...

...FYI: http://us.blackberry.com/content/dam/blackBerry/pdf/BB10-Corporate-level-EMM-Datasheet.pdf

1. TheVogon
      Mushroom

Re: As always, it's ass-backwards due to complete lack of understanding...

Well, you will be a slowly dying breed running Blackberry anything. The latest Kantar figures show Windows Phone @ 5.6%, Blackberry at 0.7% market share.....

1. Levente Szileszky
        Stop

...except those numbers were *US-only*, *estimated* based on phone interviews and most importantly *before* BB even launched their new BB10 OS and devices here in the US - it's all in the footnotes, you should make a habit of reading them, y'know.

FYI those new devices are shipping at an estimated rate of 1.5M/month since February (and much to my surprise their newest kb-sporting Q10 is reportedly *outselling* Galaxy S4 and iPhone 5 at least in the UK and France, by some decent margins - once again, Q10 will only launch tomorrow here, in the US.)

Read on, Vogon:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1476211-blackberry-10-demand-estimated-at-1-5-million-units-per-month

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1467011-blackberry-q10-outsells-iphone-5-and-galaxy-s4-in-france?source=email_rt_article_readmore

1. Levente Szileszky

PS: the fact that BBRY is also positioning to be a services company as well is actually a highly positive move, I think (DISCLAIMER: I do not own any BBRY, do not have nor held any position ever.)

12. FredScummer
    Happy

StartIsBack

Bought a new Windows 8 laptop a short time ago. Then spent several days trying to make sense of the new layout. Completely unusable IMHO.

Then google'd the issue and came up with a software product called StartIsBack. Downloaded, installed and was instantly back in the land of happy camping. Familiar start menu and boot to desktop, without being bothered by Microsoft's awful start screen. Registration fee of $3 took nanoseconds to confirm.

I am not connected with StartIsBack. Just a very happy customer.

1. Ragarath

Re: StartIsBack

Or you could have used the free www.classicshell.net although giving a donation is nice.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or you could have just gone back to Windows 7. This would at least stop condoning it.

3. JDX Gold badge

I installed W8 on my Macbook recently. It took me about 30s to figure out the new layout. Seriously are you that stupid you can't figure out a big scrollable screen full of icons... annoying perhaps but unusable, absolutely not.

Did you actually spend days trying to figure it out, or days deliberately not understanding so you could complain about it while I was getting work done on mine?

1. John Sanders
        Facepalm

"""annoying perhaps but unusable, absolutely not."""

Yeah genius, care to explain why some of us would like to use something that is annoying?

Me: Look ma, these pants are annoyingly itchy.

Ma: Yes but are you stupid? they are not unusable.

Me: I'll pick another pair.

1. Tom 35

Just wait for Pants 8.1

They have a real big pocket, and a bunch of small pockets, and come in a rainbow of colours. The zipper plays a tune when you pull it up and down.

Yes, they are still itchy... but look at all the colours!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@JDX - Re: StartIsBack

Too bad the rest of the planet is not as smart as you are! You must feel so lonely up there!

1. h4rm0ny

Re: @JDX - StartIsBack

"Too bad the rest of the planet is not as smart as you are! You must feel so lonely up there!"

Actually, I'm up there with the super-geniuses too, apparently. And so is my mother who similarly managed to use Windows 8 fine.

Seriously, children are able to learn the Windows 8 interface easily in no time. You really want to argue that you're less intelligent and IT capable than them?

1. Manu T

Re: @JDX - StartIsBack

"Seriously, children are able to learn the Windows 8 interface easily in no time. You really want to argue that you're less intelligent and IT capable than them?"

You mean as long as the newly installed apps automagically appear on the start-screen and they don't have to figure out how to access the "All Apps" screen.

Oh and what's wrong with the "X closes the app"... come on.. dragging down the window to close an app... how stupid is that? And who would have figured THAT out?

And then there's the ridiculous amount of steps to close down the Windows... is that progress? Really? Oh Dear!

Sorry but windows 8 is NOT an intuitive OS when the majority of apes have been trained to use a start-button and a start-menu with a simple upwards menu (with easy accesable "All programs") and shutdown.

In fact if I really need to revert back to a 90's look of an OS then I'd rather use RISC OS on Raspberry Pi. At least THAT combo boots up insanely quick (and is really intuitive).

Cheers

3. Mr. Nobby
        Alert

Shh! You'e ruining the anti-Windows wank-fest.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Oh Oh Oh OOOOOOOH... Splat!..... Yeaaaah I have me Start-button back... Oh shit it's a blob of sp*$*M

:-)

4. MissingSecurity

"Did you actually spend days trying to figure it out, or days deliberately not understanding so you could complain about it while I was getting work done on mine?"

This is the same reason the people bitch about Linux. No one want to relearn something they've been doing for years. Kind of Ironic isn't it?

I would venture to guess most Sysadmins/tech enthusiasts don't have problems, I don't envy people that have to support users though.

5. Belardi

JDX said " annoying perhaps but unusable, absolutely not."

Why should I or anyone else use, much less PAY for an annoying product?

I've had Win8 for months. I'd try to use it... and yes, I know/knew some of the short cuts and where things are at... but Windows 8 is butt-ugly and just not enjoyable to use.

1. JDX Gold badge

That wasn't the point. The point is IT people are claiming it is UNUSABLE for them. This is patently false. For a non-IT person, the missing start button can be considered unusable since they may literally have no idea what to do. But people here aren't speaking on behalf of their mum, they are saying they themselves find it unusable.

Really? You can install and configure Linux but you literally cannot use W8? Look up the meaning of the word unusable.

Fine to complain if you find W8 annoying or crap, but saying it is unusable is, I would claim, a flat-out lie. You do not deserve to work in IT if you can't figure out awkward software... because about 50% of software is annoying. How about all those Linux tools which rely on you memorising hundreds of shortcut keys?

1. Tom 35

"Fine to complain if you find W8 annoying or crap, but saying it is unusable is, I would claim, a flat-out lie."

I'm sure you could do a days work with someone standing behind you playing bagpipes. It's not impossible but how long could you keep it up before you kill something?

I have used Windows 8, but if the boss gave me a shiny new W8 touch screen laptop it would not be long before I killed something.

4. TheVogon
      Mushroom

My 3 year old manages just fine navigating Windows 8....My guess is that the problem is between your chair and your keyboard....

1. Belardi

A 3 year old is not trying to do WORK on a computer, nor has years of experience of using it a certain way.

5. mmeier

You wasted 3 dollars.

13. Tom 7

If an operating system starts in a forest

nt

14. h4rm0ny

Thats it Luke, let the hatred flow through you...

MS reveal a list of upcoming features, many of which will be very useful to the Enterprise. And every comment is seething contempt. The unreasoning hatred and bias in this place is absurd.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Thats it Luke, let the hatred flow through you...

@h4rm0ny

The enterprise featureas are a +"Nice to Have" list of things.

But what everyone really wants is the damned start menu back to what is was and at least to give us the choice to use TIFKAM or not.

Windows 8 is probably ready from an "administrators" point of view it is not ready from the "Users" point of view. This is an OS that has been desinged for touch screen computing, how many office workers do you know that have touch screens ?

It's not hatred, it's frustration, two very different things. We want a new OS just not this one.

2. John Sanders
      Linux

Could it be that all those enterprise options are far less useful in a business environment than having a more workable Desktop environment?

I know this will come as a shock to you, Desktop mode is what business want/need/use on Enterprise computers.

Look I can wipe your device remotely!, thanks it is a piece of crap anyway.

3. Duncan 4
      Thumb Up

beyond absurd, but at times comic :D unreasoning hatred towards MS has been around almost as long as MS itself, nothing changes but the world still goes round and while it does most of us are still using MS products among others happily. bit like teenagers hoping for some form of revolution this lot will grow up and pass the IT graffiti can on the next gen sooner or later. Start the revolution now and down vote this post ... lol

1. Belardi

True... almost.. But the world is a difference place now than... 8 years ago. There was only WIndows, 3% Apple Macintosh and a sliver of Linux on desktops. (Not counting servers) - Smart Phones were less than 1% of the total phone market (Windows CE) and Symbian.

The tablets and smart phone changed everything. By 2014, tablets will over take notebooks... ouch. In todays world, as long as you have access to the internet and not a business that requires MS-Office... you don't need Microsoft. For gaming? PC Gaming is very weak... with most games going to console, which look better on a 60: screen compared to a typical 24" display.

15. Pen-y-gors

Sounds good, but...

How many of these features will only be available in the more expensive versions? Will 'boot to desktop' be available in all versions, or just Enterprise?

It sounds as if they may be getting somewhere half decent with this version, now if only someone senior would honestly admit that the whole initial Metro thing was an appalling cockup and apologise and say they should have listened to user feedback in the first place, then they may well start to regain a bit of credibility, but not if they keep wriggling and pretending all was wonderful and no-one made any mistakes.

16. BobChip
    Linux

Too little, too late ....

Sorry MS, I've left already. Gone Linux. And I won't be looking back.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like