back to article Microsoft parades Windows 8.1, the version you may actually want

Microsoft today demonstrated Windows 8.1 for the first time in public and showed off at least 60 compatible devices - including Haswell-powered gadgets. Windows vice-president Antoine Leblond took the Computex crowd through a whistlestop tour of all the major new functionality in the OS formerly known as Windows Blue. Key …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Start Icon != Start Menu. This the problem.

1. Khaptain Silver badge
      FAIL

Microsoft said that they had listened to their customers, oh really

Don't tell me someone at Microsoft actually thought that when people referred to the, lack of the "Start Button", that they actually took that phrase literally.

It would be interesting to know just how many downloads were made for StartMenuClassic et all.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Khaptain

Well, don't forget that according to Microsoft those same "user input channels" convinced them that the start menu had to go. Of course the results that followed made many wonder to which audience Microsoft had actually been listening, but even so that was their original story.

1. nichomach

@ShelLuser

The problem was that Microsoft didn't listen to an audience at all - they listened to "metrics" provided by crap like the customer feedback apps without putting it into any sort of context.

1. Someone Else Silver badge
            Facepalm

Re: @nichomach

...and some wet-behind-the-ears marketdroids whose certificate from Marketing U. still has wet ink on it, who thought they could be responsible for the Next Big Thing™ in Computing!

2. JDX Gold badge

Start Icon != Start Menu. This the problem.

Except to the users, whose #1 problem is "where the f*** are my programs"

1. Hooksie

Re: Start Icon != Start Menu. This the problem.

Try the Windows key on the keyboard you morons

Would be my response

1. hplasm
          Meh

What key? I ask, you tit- this is a tablet.

1. Avalanche

Then just hit the "charm" in the lower left corner (I believe, could be the upper left).

2. D. Pechon
            Facepalm

Every Windows tablet has a Windows key.

3. David Barrett
            FAIL

"What key? I ask, you tit- this is a tablet."

Probably the one, bottom centre below your screen... you know, the one with the windows logo on it...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-57360734-64/microsoft-lays-out-window-8-tablet-hardware-requirements/

2. Levente Szileszky
          FAIL

"Try the Windows key on the keyboard you morons

Would be my response"

Which would clearly show what kind of an even bigger moron you are because it has little to do with the Start Menu people are missing, you tool.

3. Belardi
          WTF?

You need a mirror. Obviously you're as narrow minded as the people at microsoft. It wasn't about the button itself as the whole mess of mixing two UI at people. Its an ugly messy package.

Hell, Windows8 has made me download and start using LinuxMint... which is usable, unlike metro.

4. Ron Christian

But that does not gives you a start menu. It gives you an ugly collection of square blotches of color, which appear to represent applications, with no hierarchical grouping visual clues, that takes up the entire 22 inch screen while showing only a fraction of the choices, having to be scraped back and forth to expose the rest of the blotches. It's a mess.

I'm writing this on Windows 7. When I hit the Windows key, I get a real menu, and I can choose to bring up a new application while leaving my current open windows in place. I have a Windows 8 machine, but haven't touched it in weeks, because a real user workflow does not work on the device. It's probably fine for casual browsing (which I do on my phone anyway, but never mind) but is a definite step backwards for real work.

1. Panimu

"But that does not gives you a start menu. It gives you an ugly collection of square blotches of color, which appear to represent applications"

Tbh, that's basically what the Start Menu does, and it does in a little fraction of the screen with small writing.

For reference, I use Win7+8 and don't have any skin in the arguement.

5. TimeMaster T
          Meh

"Try the Windows key on the keyboard you morons

Would be my response"

Ever notice how easy it is to tell when someone has never tried the OS they are trying to defend?

For those of you who have so far managed to avoid the Horror that is Windows 8;

Pressing the "Windows key" on a Win 8 system does NOT bring up a menu of applications/settings, it take you to the Metro screen. "Windows key" + "r" will open a run dialog. Goddess help you if you don't know the name of the actual executable exe file for your application.

and wasn't the whole point of Windows to make it so you didn't need a keyboard to start your applications.

1. tabman
            FAIL

But, run any of the replacement programs (StartUI, etc) and windows key = start menu.

Guess what Win Key + D does.....The Desktop. The Win 7 desktop. With the added security and other "under the bonnet" tweaks that actually makes Win 8 an excellent OS for tablet, laptop and desktop.

Now if you are smart enough to use "sudo apt get" then you should just be able to carry out the StartUI (or any of the others) trick.

What are you afraid of? That you would have to admit that with WIN 8 everything does just work, if you want the Win 7 experience then go get it.

Your answer kind of underscores what you mention when you say "Ever notice how easy it is to tell someone has never used the OS they are trying to defend"

Did you mean yourself when you made that comment?

6. darklordsid
          Pint

Most users now will respond you "Ballmerboy, what button are you talking about anyway? My iOS/Android device has not that f*** button!"

And it is true for the majority of devices, as after that epic fail of W8 Squarepants was announced non Wintel machines sales and usage skyrocketed and pros and developers ran away in flocks. And after fist 9 months of W8 heavy advertising reign, Wintel platform IS NO LONGER THE DOMINANT ONE for number of users nor for revenue.

Welcome to the new world, MS suicided itself, get a clue.

2. Old Handle

Except to the users, whose #1 problem is "where the f*** are my programs"

Only they won't be helped much has could be either, because it's a new unfamiliar logo. It's marginally more obvious than pointed at the empty space where the button used to be, but only marginally.

3. mmeier

15min of training for a user with a high 2 digit IQ. 8h for the rest (or 30min with electricity). Lets face it, Olaf Officedrohne does not use all that many programs. Just train him to click on the bright shiny icon and thats it.

1. Tom 13

@mmeier 05-Jun-2013 17:20

There aren't many posters here at El Reg that are quite as annoying as Eadon on an MS-rant. But if you work just a little bit harder at it, I'm sure you can get there with your Windows 8 shilling.

3. crtc
      Thumb Up

Allowing a user the 'option' to choose between the classic start menu or the new start screen was too much for m$.

Can't wait for the moron hipster retards in suits to do the same thing to thier console business...oh wait...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vast Imprvoements

Such as bringing back the start menu

Bringing back multiple apps on screen at once

Bringing back the ability to improve performance

Heck lets just say we brought back a whole load of the stuff we stripped out of windows 7 before tacking on the metro UI.

Heck why don't we just call this "Windows 7 + Metro" so people can really see what we're selling.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Vast Imprvoements

Bringing back multiple apps on screen at once

You sort of can already, you just need to use that stupid "snap" system where you drag the apps to the edge of the screen.

1. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
        Meh

"Bringing back multiple apps on screen at once

You sort of can already, you just need to use that stupid "snap" system where you drag the apps to the edge of the screen."

Except that only gives you two, and one is mostly unusable, and even then it only works on screens with the proper resolution. Here's hoping they fixed it up a bit better than that in 8.1...

1. reno79

Re: Caps Lock?

I was under the impression on higher res screens - 1080p, essentially - you can have three (with the desktop classed as one, so effectively, unlimited)

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

From the looks of things in 8.1, you can position the split between two apps anywhere, you're not forced into the stupid small/large fixed sizes as in 8.0 (I never understood why they fixed the split point).

2. Someone Else Silver badge
      Flame

Heck why don't we just call this "Windows 7 + Metro" so people can really see what we're selling.

Or we could call it Windows 386 V2.0

3. Daniel B.
    FAIL

Nice ... Nice ...

But they still haven't brought back the Start Menu. So 8.1 still isn't the Windows version you actually want!

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Nice ... Nice ...

Since when is Start-Menu the definitive last word in How Things Should Be Done? I seem to recall XP cahnged things quite a lot too, as have other versions.

Start menu is crap IMO. 4-deep nesting in one tiny area of the screen with menus that close if you move the mouse the wrong way, etc. When you're launching an app you are not multi-tasking so why NOT use the whole screen to show everything?

1. Tom 35

Lots of people thought the start menu was crap. But the start screen is a lake of liquefied pig shit. So we want our crap back, at least we know how to work with it.

Change can be good, or as the start screen / metro shows it can be bad. Windows 95 to 7 had both good and bad changes, but more good then bad.

2. Daniel B.
        Boffin

Because the Start Menu is the one single thing that made users get up in arms. Actually XP made it less cluttered, by putting all the "My PC", "My Documents" et al in the Start Menu instead of wasting space as icons in the screen. Same with the scrolling menu vs. zillion cascading menus behavior. Vista/7 even improved on this concept.

And just searching stuff, a lot of people that aren't even in IT are complaining about it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Tom 35 Re: Nice ... Nice ...

I am still to this day LIVID that since installing Windows 95 Microsoft have simply assumed I want to load Windows every time I boot my PC. What was wrong with WIndows 3.1 and having to type "win" at the prompt if you wanted to load Windows? Every single day since then I have woken up angry and haven't given Microsoft a penny since then.

1. Grogan Silver badge

Re: @Tom 35 Nice ... Nice ...

"I am still to this day LIVID that since installing Windows 95 Microsoft have simply assumed I want to load Windows every time I boot my PC. What was wrong with WIndows 3.1 and having to type "win" at the prompt if you wanted to load Windows?"

Again, sarcastic trolls, you could easily override that behaviour in Windows 95, just like you could make your shell progman.exe to get the old Windows 3.1 UI back. You could also still use the Windows 3.1 file manager (winfile.exe) if you preferred it, as long as you were careful not to break LFN aliases by renaming shit.

A simple edit to c:\msdos.sys (a text configuration file in Win9x), BootGUI=0, would return the old behaviour of starting Windows 95 to DOS and typing "win" to run win.com and start Windows.

Tell me again why people can't have a more classic user interface in Windows 8, when it's clearly demonstrated that a third party can trivially add that functionality back (for free, even)? I'll tell you why, because the system is arbitrarily crippled to direct people to the fugly tile screen with spammy tiles and Microsoft's software store.

1. Tom 13

Re: fugly tile screen

I'm not sure you should compare fugly tile screens to the Win 8 whatever they call it.

It's insulting to actual fugly tile screens, which are much more aesthetically pleasing.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Childcatcher

And just searching stuff, a lot of people that aren't even in IT are complaining about it.

Upon which we read....

"For my older readers, it's like when you used to have to masturbate your horse to get him going and then hang a severed horse vagina in front of his face in order to get him to sprint."

HOLY DUCK, NOW I HAVE TO USE MIND BLEACH.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
            Childcatcher

But finally, I found the money quote. I hope GNOMEtards are also reading these,

Here is where you may break down and buy a brand new computer. It's a good feeling -- you spent a lot of money, sure, but at least you know you've left that old mess behind.

So, you get it home and turn it on, only to realize that something is even more wrong with it. All of the controls are gone -- all of the stuff you used to click on to make it work, even the "shut down" button, are just ... gone. All of the buttons in the upper right of your window -- the "X" and "-" buttons your kids showed you how to use 15 years ago -- have vanished, and in fact so has the window itself. Even the "start" button in the lower left that let you access everything is gone. Unfortunately, you have been infected with a piece of malicious software called Windows 8, and not only did you just unintentionally pay for it, but it will cost you another couple hundred dollars to get your local computer shop to remove it. And here is when you realize that all of this is just an elaborate prank meant to teach you to be satisfied with what you have in life, because you just couldn't leave well enough alone.

4. MACWINLINO
    Alert

More like Windows 8 RTM than 8.1

This product is what Windows 8 should have been when it was released. This makes Windows 8 look like it was a paid for beta when it was released.

Now if only Start Button can actually = Start Menu (we don't need a start menu/screen that takes up a whole screen)

This update might make the much needed improvements to Windows 8, however we will only know once it is released.

Looking forward to testing this though

1. JDX Gold badge

we don't need a start menu/screen that takes up a whole screen

You don't need one crammed into one corner of the screen either. You can't use any apps while the menu is open so why not use the screen to display more things at once?

1. hplasm
        Meh

Re: we don't need a start menu/screen that takes up a whole screen

" You can't use any apps while the menu is open "

Why would you? Tiles are for 'apps', menus have Programs.

2. Cameron Colley

"You can't use any apps while the menu is open so why not use the screen to display more things at once?"

Bullshit. Or am I imagining reading email or monitoring a script's progress whilst opening the start menu? Am I imagining watching video or using Skype while the start menu is open?

3. Raz

@JDX Posted Wednesday 5th June 2013 15:49 GMT

Why not use the whole screen? Because of efficiency. I can very nicely setup the programs in my Start Menu so that by only moving the mouse a bit I can reach all of the programs that I use mostly, without a need to see the shortcuts on the desktop.

2. ToddR

Re: More like Windows 8 RTM than 8.1

Why are we surprised Win8 was crap. Every 1st version is shite and they fix it, (mostly), with the second version. This has happened since Windows 95.

If only someone would produce an Officesuite that was really inter-operable with Office, I could get away from Balmerland

5. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

What would really make a huge difference is fixing the license

I prefer GPL, but I would be happy with BSD as Microsoft seem to think that is more 'business friendly'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What would really make a huge difference is fixing the license

Eadon, is that you?

2. mmeier

GPL - that is the viral, unfree Licence from the great toe cheese eater? Thanks but no thanks. I stick to free licences like Apache

1. hplasm
        FAIL

"Thanks but no thanks. I stick to free licences like Apache"

I think you mis-spelled 'Unenforceable shrinkwrapped EULA; there.

Might have been a slip of the penable pen.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Devil

GPL - that is the viral, unfree Licence from the great toe cheese eater? Thanks but no thanks. I stick to free licences like Apache

Woah, mmeier Failure of that level at groking GPL either comes from the "it's all mine, mine!" microsoft-subsidized roach corner of proprietary shackleware or the "I want to have it all, why don't you give it to me!" camp of aggravated freetardism.

I like Apache license too but I have no problem with GPL or LGPL.

1. mmeier

My employer and quite a few of our customers have a strict "No GPL/LGPL" policy, Dual licenced is okay but pure is not

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
            Devil

> My employer and quite a few of our customers have a strict "No GPL/LGPL" policy,

Everybody has to stand in the corner of FAIL.

Oh hold on, what was your point again.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like