back to article Samsung quits desktop PC biz, will stick to all-in-ones and portables

Underscoring yet again the radical shift underway in the personal computing industry, Samsung is shutting down its traditional desktop PC business to focus on devices with more modern form factors. "Tablets, all-in-one and hybrid PCs are Samsung's current focus," a company official told Korea Times. "Samsung is speeding up its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The BigYin

That's nice

Maybe they'll have enough engineers spare to properly test their UEFI drivers!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't think I've ever seen a Samsung desktop

I suspect they'll not be missed.

1. AMB-York Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: I don't think I've ever seen a Samsung desktop

They're including laptops in with the desktops. I used to have a Samsung laptop - nice piece of kit, well made and not too expensive.

I agree though, I didn't even realise they made PCs.

Paris, to avoid being PC.

2. AndrueC Silver badge
      Go

Re: I don't think I've ever seen a Samsung desktop

I think I actually used one back in the early 90s. First time I'd ever heard the name. I don't remember anything special about it - just another clone box.

3. James O'Shea
    Headmaster

errm... geography note...

Isn't India in Asia? So if Sammie desktops did well in Asia, wouldn't that, well, include India?

And, oh, would the desktops run Ubuntu or would they brick, too?

4. Christopher Rogers
    Stop

Wrong apparently...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/25/samsung-desktop-pc-tower-business/

1. dogged

Re: Wrong apparently...

Yup. The relevant bit being directly from Samsung -

"The rumor that Samsung is withdrawing from the PC desktop business is groundless. Samsung will continue to offer diverse products according to market needs, including our recently announced ATIV One 5 Style, a stylish all-in-one PC. We will continue to open all possibilities in PC business including our PC Tower business, to satisfy consumer's diverse lifestyle and needs."

1. Captain Scarlet
        Pint

Ah so they want to announce it rather than having it leaked.

1. dogged
          Meh

They actually announced two new desktop units in the far East on the very day this rumour was published.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Everyone is trying to convince me to dump my desktops for laptops or all in ones.

Why would I want an all in one ?

I have to pay for the screen again each refresh, there is very little upgrade potential, and they are expensive.

And laptops dont have the performance.

1. John Riddoch

I agree about the all in ones. While they do have the advantage of saving desktop space and looking pretty, they lack upgrade potential and I'm reluctant to throw out a perfectly good screen because the computer is too old; my monitor has lasted through a few upgrade cycles and I use it with my work laptop through the KVM switch.

As for laptops, they can have plenty performance for most people; mine is a perfectly adequate gaming machine and is still decently portable. Hardcore gamers, graphics designers or video editors will always require the power of a desktop, though. It all depends what you're using the computer (in the broad term) as to what suits, whether laptop, desktop, tablet or smartphone.

2. Volker Hett

Exactly! You have to pay and pay again and again :)

6. cortland

The hand writing on the wall was Korean

When Samsung took over computer maker AST Research, I saw the hand writing on the wall -- in Korean -- and resigned in early 1997. AST had acquired Tandy's computer businesses in 1993 and with it some advanced products such as the GriD Convertible, a laptop whose keyboard was hidden under the screen in one of its configurations, allowing use of an RF "pen;" an early form of the tablets now flooding the market..

However, Samsung management -- at least at AST -- was so rigid as to later drive many other employees away beside myself and, as Wikipedia put it, had to close that enterprise due to "a mass defection of research talent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AST_Research

http://astmachines.com/

AST -- Nobody Compares. Hardly anyone remembers. Sic semper tyrannosaurus.

1. xebon

Re: The hand writing on the wall was Korean

ISTR Flex cache and some very well thought-out and designed machines, a tad too expensive for many when compared with mass roll-out stuff.

7. Ben Rosenthal

Hmm, we tried to get Samsung Laptops for our department a year or so ago.

The specifications looked excellent, the available reviews were all positive, but no bugger stocked them. So no much of a loss to the PC market.

8. Mr. Nobby

Samsung sold desktops?

Well that I didn't know.

Not that I'd notice, I build my own anyway, ready made desktops are for fools and businesses.

9. Belardi

Get ThinkPads for business... they come with Windows7 be default.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like