back to article Symantec snaps up PasswordBank, touts SSO logins to biz

Symantec has bought enterprise-focused authentication software start-up PasswordBank in a move aimed at beefing up its enterprise security software roster. PasswordBank provides identity-as-a-service through enterprise and cloud-based single sign on services, as well as a line of multi-factor authentication-as-a-service …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    Unhappy

In practice, SSO offers a way to reduce the amount of passwords corporates are obliged to manage but doesn't achieve the one-password-to-rule-them-all goal the marketing hype around the technology promises.

Ain't that the truth.

1. I think so I am?
      Coat

Single Point of Ownage

Its also single point of failure ! Hack the SSO app and own all the apps.

"All your passwords are belong to use!"

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Corporate Policy

Our Corporate Policy requires password to be changed quite often and on a regular basis. I used an SSO for a few weeks and i found it to be more of a PITA than storing my passwords in Keepass.

I have been a heavy Keepass user for years and I think i will remain that way.

I wonder how far Symantec can be trusted these days, Passwords "backed up" in the cloud........the word trust does not spring to mind..

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not so

I was involved in a startup years ago that actually delivered this and it worked. Shame the startup director nicked the design and buggered of to Oz with it.

Before you say it can't work, it was passed by the FSA to be used in financial transactions, a proper outsourced 2FA solution.

The only fly in the ointment (apart from the theft of the design) was that the startup never really got to grips with writing the software to interact with the 'vault' where the passwords were stored, which shouldn't be too difficult.

4. Beaufin

Hmmm SSO?

Cant see it replacing the post it note on my keyboard

5. ClanArmstrong

Paranoid

This single sign-on business makes me nervous. Microsoft is being a little forceful with its single sign-on. I would not doubt that they enforce SSO a little more with Microsoft Blue. Why do you'all think the giants are moving us toward SSO and free storage. "Free Cheese in a Mousetrap", they will mine and massage your web travels and even the use of your computer and sell the statistical data. Otherwise, why so anxious to buy out a 20 person firm and pull a Microsoft. The giants want to control the SSO market; next step, only the giant's Servers will handle the SSO to the Cloud. There has to be big dollars in guarding the cloud gates. But, maybe I am just guessing. I do not really know enough to get ahead of them on the chessboard. What do you'all think ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like