back to article IBM snaps up banking security biz Trusteer, won't say what it paid

IBM has announced a deal to acquire transaction security firm Trusteer and open a new cybersecurity lab in Israel. Financial terms of the buyout, announced Thursday, were not disclosed. Big Blue said the deal would allow it to offer improved cloud-delivered software and services to defend against advanced security threats to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike Dolan

I've found Trusteer Rapport to be terrible. I've lost track of the number of PCs where it causes unexplained boot errors, BSODs, random crashes. Hopefully IBM will bury this piece of trash, never to be seen again.

1. Don Jefe
      Meh

This came up in the last Trusteer discussion: The banks are Trusteers customers, not the end user, and banks are generally considered the kings of lock in so there's no reason to change/improve it.

Basically, if you've got enough money flowing through the bank that losing you would inconvenience them then changing banks is too complicated for you to do over a minor issue.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. the spectacularly refined chap

Personally when I was first offered it perhaps five years ago I turned it down. The reason was I simply couldn't get a concrete explanation as to what it was actually doing, either from the bank or Trusteer themselves. A vague, hand-waving "it improves your security when online" is not an explanation.

As Don notes, you can count on the banks to look after themselves first, second and last and if they want me to install something on my PC but won't tell me what it is they can go and stick it.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Shame it's the banks. Otherwise customers could vote directly with their wallets and not purchase software that supports a terrorist and apartheid state...

2. AJ MacLeod

Fully agree... in fact I'm right now sorting a machine which Rapport has wrecked (it's somehow mangled a pile of pretty vital drivers in this case.)

I have always advised people not to install it; at best it is guaranteed to slow down your PC and I've not seen any evidence of it actually doing anything genuinely useful.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Corporate arrogance always amazes me

"IBM snaps up banking security biz Trusteer, won't say what it paid"

IBM had better tell the shareholders what they paid, or (if I were a shareholder) I'd sue the pants off the management board.

1. Don Jefe
      Happy

Re: Corporate arrogance always amazes me

You misunderstand public reporting. No company is required to provide line item expenditures, just SEC compliant categories. It'll be lumped in with acquisitions or expansions of banking sector products. They don't have to break it down further than that. Whenever companies offer line items it is because they're showing off a 'successful strategy' or something like that.

3. Ian P

New update has killed at least 2 computers

Hmmm. I've had Rapport for a while - no issues really but I maintain computers and 2 have failed in the last 2 days. A Vista-32 laptop and Win7Pro desktop.

The culprit appears to have been a (mandatory by default) update

"Trusteer Endpoint Protection" 23/8 3.5.1302.54

I've since uninstalled Rapport on all my Windows instances.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like