back to article Google will barge into enterprises as IT titans squabble, Apple snoozes

Google is on the cusp on becoming a serious player in corporate IT, as the traditional enterprise vendors invade each other's markets and Apple folds inwards on itself. That was the nightmare vision Canalys CEO Steve Brazier painted for dealers and distributors as he kicked off the research firm's Channels Forum 2013 in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jim 59

Google will barge into enterprises as IT titans squabble, Apple snoozes

Apart from phones and search, Google does not provide anything that businesses would want. Unlike teenagers, companies actually require privacy.

Apple, Facebook Amazon and Google were dominating debate in the industry

You will not see any of these names in an office, except as above, now or in the forseeable.

Just curious Mr Brazier, can you tell us if Canalsys does its accounts on Google Docs ? No, you do it with Sage on a PC and secure offsite tape storage. How frightfully unfashionable.

1. The Godfather

Re: Google will barge into enterprises as IT titans squabble, Apple snoozes

Take it you're one of those worried you might get left behind, otherwise why the aggressive angle?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Google will barge into enterprises as IT titans squabble, Apple snoozes

Take it you're one of those worried you might get left behind, otherwise why the aggressive angle?

I guess he's just not won over by the marketing spin of a serial offender of privacy laws across the globe. That's the sort of "modern" I don't agree with either.

2. Wanda Lust

Visions

Nightmare visions tend to be the stuff of fiction & scaremongering.

I've seen businesses where Google mail, docs, drive, app set is being used & have to admit I was surprised. In one significant ( must remain nameless ) business I was very surprised but do suspect a bit of corporate mutual backscratching as the user was a likely very high volume suppier to Google.

I'd really expect Office 365 to be putting clear ground behind itself on the online productivity/collaboration thing.

This guy at Canalsys seemed to be talking about hardware. Google ship minimal amounts of hardware, other vendors ship their hardware with Google's OS but the downside is many unique UIs layered on top, variance is something corporate IT typically likes to avoid. Anyway, Google's more interested in the habits of the masses not a load of corporate wonks.

Sorry, but his argument doesn't seem to hold up.

3. SecretBatcave

They might be, but only if they stop randomly changing stuff every 5 minutes.

Seriously, trying to support a google apps domain, in anything other than a small company is a massive arse wedge. we use google hangouts to run meetings, in the space of three months, the layout changed no less than 5 times.

Did we get a warning? did we fuck. I can understand that if I was a freetard then yes, we'll just have to shut up and swallow google's milky goodness. But we're not, we pay for the privilege and get fuck all support.

As soon as I have time I'm migrating us the hell away from google.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like