back to article Ballmer intends to remain on Microsoft board after end of CEO gig

Steve Ballmer may be stepping down as CEO of Microsoft, but he's not planning to let go of the reins in Redmond completely, if a recent filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission is any indication. In Microsoft's 2013 proxy statement, filed with the SEC on Thursday, the company's board of directors gave its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. mIRCat
    Pint

No where to go but up!

Keep an eye on the stock price once something official is said. The markets love this Ballmer guy.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Pint

Re: No where to go but up!

On the other hand the captain is supposed to stay on going down. I wonder if the board chairs are harder to throw.

2. Quxy
      Pint

Works for me!

The post is required, and must contain letters.

2. Charles Manning

Wall St won't like this...

There goes the uptick when he announced his retirement.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Wall St won't like this...

That is known in Britain as "Bury Bad News".

Use the overall stinky situation at the moment to get as much as you can. Commendable effort on Billy Boy's and ChairThrower's part. I do not think it will fly though. Despite the markets being preoccupied with the banana republic situation and the impending USA bankrupcy, they are not likely to ignore this one. MSFT shareholder's revolt. Sweet... Popcorn please, I would love to watch that...

3. DB2DBA

The next Blackberry

After watching Blackberry's descent into oblivion you'd think these guys would take a hint.

4. Chemist

"But he has sat on the board since way back in 1981"

It's the only way to make the b*ggers do what you want !

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is he going to be Chairman of the board?

1. TheOtherHobbes

Why not? He's already the Bored of the Chair Man.

6. Xink5692

A board position would be reasonable. You need someone there to explain why management has done what they have done. Bill G. should move to a director role also and the CEO and Chairman roles should be some new blood that can provide a new perspective in the world of computing. Microsoft is sitting at a crossroads exactly where IBM (the previous Olympian gods of computing) was when they brought in Gerstner. They need to be able to redirect their focus from the past to whatever will bring them into the 21st century.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ditching Gates would be a daft idea anyway, his plans obviously work well otherwise they wouldn't be so bloody rich. Ballmer's mentallity is amusing but keeping him on the board might atleast prevent his strategy being completely disregarded. Too much change will kill the company.

1. nematoad

"Too much change will kill the company."

Unfortunately for MS the changes that are happening are external and the ability of any new CEO will be limited.

It could be that you are being ironic but if you are not then just looking at what is happening at MS in isolation mirrors the apparent view inside Redmond itself.

Be successful for long enough and you get to think that you are omnipotent, change is inevitable and it seems that MS have taken their eye off the ball.

2. Wade Burchette

"Too much change will kill the company."

As proof: look at the disaster that is Windows 8. Too much changed between Windows 7 and Windows 8, and look at the results.

8. arctic_haze
    FAIL

A great idea

Next, they should co-opt Elop. Preferably as both the next CEO and a board member.

Then, the fun will begin. I'm already stockpiling popcorn in anticipation.

9. Herer

yes to elop!

he is exactly the right man for the job - just look at his success not just a nokia, but also, macromedia and mmm boston chicken (weird they don't exist any more huh)

10. Ram Sambamurthy

My blessings for Ballmer on the board

i hope they keep ballmer on the board so he and buddy Gates can continue screwing up the company. they deserve it after arm-twisting and killing off companies over all these years.

11. Tannin

Get rid off the dead wood

Microsoft has made one terrible decision after another these last ten years or so. Vista, borking their cash cow Office, Win 7 only a half-good product bringing nothing of consequence to the table that wasn't already there in XP - in reality, the main reason for the success of Windows 7 was that it wasn't Vista -and then the monumental stuff up that was Windows 8. meanwhile, the company continues to loes bucket loads of money on blind, brute-force-stupid attempts to break into things it has never been any good at, such as search and telephones and tablets.

The first step to getting better is to admit you have a disease. Never in the history of computing has a company so desperately needed new, competent management. Hell, forget "competent", *any* sort of new management will do, 'coz even Bling Freddie could do better than Balmer's crew.

Just bring in someone new and get rid of the failures, OK?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Put him in at the coalface

Then stack rank him to HELL!!!

13. RcR

Fuck Uncle Fester. I thought we were rid of that asshole.

14. Andy Roid McUser

can't let go

I fully appreciate that once they took the company public they ran the risk of being outed.. However, like gates and Ballmer or not, they built that company and in their eyes it's still theirs and no VC is going to tell them what to do or when to leave. In my opinion it is time for them both to go but I also understand their reluctance.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: can't let go

Not so - many large companies boot out the founders - look at Cisco, the founders we booted out by the investors.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If I were an investor in any company which was successful (and MS is, regardless of what random voices on the Internet say) and a long standing CEO was about to leave his job, I certainly wouldn't be wanting him to leave the company, I also would want to be booting out the Chairman who also founded the business. There needs to be continuance in order to ensure that the new people coming in actually understand the business and the historical reasons for decisions made. Hell, even RBS kept Fred Goodwin on after the government forced his sacking, in order that Stephen Hester could hit the ground running.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RIP Microsoft

Keep the deadweight, and you will be dead.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like