back to article Microsoft: We're nearly OUT OF STOCK of Surface 2 and Pro 2

Microsoft says it is nearly out of stock of its forthcoming Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 fondleslabs, though what that means in terms of actual sales figures is anybody's guess. Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 are close to selling out. All those buyers are gonna need apps. Your move: http://t.co/YGWmjklfuB — Microsoft Developer (@ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. DJV Silver badge
    Happy

So...

How many did they actually make then? Did it reach as far as double figures?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So...

Not even double figures.

One for Bill and one for Steve B.

Eflop was only allowed to fiddle with his Nokia.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Add one, I preordered a Surface Pro 256GB...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Got to love the mentality of someone small-minded enough to down-vote someone because of their purchasing decisions.

1. BrentRBrian

Only when they're a Microsoft shill

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I have a Surface Pro 256GB on order. They are simply the best tablet on the market.

1. Anonymous Custard
          Joke

And does it include any that got modified into skateboards or other useful devices?

2. Nuke
          Holmes

AC @ 19:33 wrote :- "I have a Surface Pro 256GB on order. They are simply the best tablet on the market."

As you haven't got it yet, I'd take care about making statements like that.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"As you haven't got it yet, I'd take care about making statements like that."

The OS and Surface quality design and format are known quantities.In terms of that and the capabilities, it is the best thing on the market I can order right now. Dell and others might bring out something better soon, but they are not able to be ordered yet....

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I have a Surface Pro 256GB on order. They are simply the best tablet on the market."

Just shows there is an idiot born every minute.

Oh by the way we just need your bank account number, sort code and pin number just to confirm you have actually bought one.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Anonymous Moron

>>"I have a Surface Pro 256GB on order. They are simply the best tablet on the market."

>Just shows there is an idiot born every minute.

A full x86 Windows PC in a tablet by its very nature kicks Android and iOS to the side, simply because you can do literally anything on it.

The problem with Pro is basically the price, not the spec or the OS.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Run out of energy have I

"A full x86 Windows PC in a tablet by its very nature kicks Android and iOS to the side, simply because you can do literally anything on it."

Assuming you've got something to charge the battery from.

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Mushroom

They are simply the best tablet on the market."

What? Even better than Immodium?

1. Philip Lewis

@ John Brown (no body)

shit that's funny!

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"They are simply the best tablet on the market."

When he said tablet, I think he meant suppository.

1. Mephistro
              Angel

"When he said tablet, I think he meant suppository."

I don't think that the form factor will become popular, but MS will keep on trying.

3. Stoneshop
            Holmes

@ John Brown (no body)

I was thinking the tablet AC needs would be Ibuprofen, to get his two braincells in step again. But Immodium would indeed be fine too, to keep them from being excreted rectally.

5. CmdrX3

Steve....Is that you?

6. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

For convertible ultra books, look to Lenovo. For bullet proof data access, Apple and for flexible low muscle computing Android. Microsoft are the best at none of these and are increasingly looking to be the worst option of all.

I got a Surface T through work. Everyone played with it for a few minutes. Out of a team of 10 techies, no-one wanted to keep it, so it' been gathering dust in a drawer eversince. Too slow, too heavy, too expensive, keyboard is woeful, app store is a joke - didn't even filter out x86 apps - so you only found uou an app was x86 only when you tried to install it. And to be honest, I can't stand Windows 8 either.

7. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: simply the best tablet on the market...

It's only Monday but that's the best joke of the week

8. N13L5

You call the tablets with the worst iFixIt scores 'the best'...?

Perfect member of our cancerous 'growth forever' throw-away society?

3. GitMeMyShootinIrons

"Eflop was only allowed to fiddle with his Nokia"

I've heard it called many things, but not a Nokia. He wants to be careful though. If he fiddles with his Nokia too much he might go blind!

1. TheOtherHobbes

>If he fiddles with his Nokia too much he might go blind!

sed s /"go blind"/"receive a fuck off multi-million bonus."

2. Homer 1
      Windows

Yes, Vole sold all three of their Tiles Slates. They came whizzing off their PlayMobil production line faster than Sweaty Ballmer's underpants skid across the kitchen floor on wash day. It was epic. I cried with joy. You had to be there.

3. Mage Silver badge

11,003 approximately.

4. and-job

Answer to your question is....

They made 25 of each. Most went to reviewers and the last two went to Steve Ballmer for his going away present from the company.

5. Piro Silver badge

First comment did not disappoint. I imagined something similar.

Make almost none of them, say they've sold out due to demand!

6. MrT

According to one stock control ledger...

...Three for the Elven kings, seven for the Dwarf lords, nine for mortal men and one for the Dark Lord.

Who ever he is, that one is apparently Azure in colour...

7. Bob Vistakin
      Linux

Microsoft make tablets? Gosh - I wonder why no-one knows about this. Next you'll be saying they have a search engine of their own, rather than merely throwing a script kiddie wrapper round someone elses.

2. K

That because they only made 11,001..

11,000 for Delta Airlines, and 1 for Steve as a leaving gift..

Additionally expect the CTO of Delta Airlines to be named as a new VP at Microsoft at some point in the next 6 months.

1. dssf

Re: That because they only made 11,001.. STB/Console...

Taking over the Entertainment division? Microsoft Flight Simulator?

That could be a way to turn Surface into the next MS STB/Console.

(Wow! Am I actually suggesting a product lineup change in MS's favor?)

3. wowfood

so wait

Microsoft now says new orders of the Surface 2 model with 64GB of RAM

That's a lot of RAM for a tablet :P

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: so wait

"That's a lot of RAM for a tablet"

Remember, it has to run Windows... :)

1. and-job

Wondered why they make a big deal about being able to shove a memory stick into the USB? That explains it. 64GB makes for a rather cramped experience unless they have a special version of Windows called Windows 8GO (GO stands for gutted out).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do remember that a Surface uses over 16GB for the OS!

1. TheVogon

"Do remember that a Surface uses over 16GB for the OS!"

No it doesn't. It uses most of that space for a recovery partition and the hibernation file. Both of which can be removed if you really want to....

4. asdf

hmm

We probably won't see another big write off on the inventory this time. But do expect to see another eye popping multi billion dollar goodwill hit off some prior acquisition within the next year or so.

5. Robert E A Harvey
    Coat

Both sold out?

did the same person buy one of each?

I'm sorry, I'm just not buying this.

Or the story.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> But reports from the channel suggested that this had more to do with Microsoft only shipping the devices in limited numbers than with rampant customer demand.

Not that Apple would ever do something as underhanded.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

WTF has Apple got to do with it.

Stupid comment, about as relevant as what GEC is doing in the diode lighting market.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Stupid comment, about as relevant as what GEC is doing in the diode lighting market.

Of course GE isn't worried about the LED market. It's too busy electrocuting elephants.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

> WTF has Apple got to do with it.

Erm, you do know that Apple make tablets don't you and they do regularly sell out very rapidly on release, the implication being that they don't have enough for demand?

Jesus, do keep up.

7. W. Anderson

Many unanswered questions on Surface 2

While Microsoft is crowing about 'sold out' sales on new Surface 2 tablets, although actual "credible" numbers are always elusive from Redmond, the question in minds of many technology buyers, and should be for Delta Airlines is that of Microsoft (not) addressing the many very serious Zero Day and other security vulnerabilities** recently exposed (during last eight weeks) in Internet Explorer and Silverlight for all Microsoft based devices and Windows Mobile 8 itself, that have not been fixed, with one case of Windows 8 Mobile Security certificates not being fixable at all.

it is surprising and ominous that so many Americans and some foreigners - particularly the English that "love" Microsoft, continue to invest in the broken, twentieth century and always-catch up technology from Microsoft that never quite reaches par with their rivals in reliability, quality, value and especially good security. This last criteria is critical.

The Microsoft "Stockholm Syndrome" is definitely holding back a good part of US technology advance.

** See exposing evidence here:

(1) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/2876146

(2) http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9242950/Microsoft_to_patch_zero_day_IE_bug_now_under_attack?source=CTWNLE_nlt_security_2013-10-04

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Many unanswered questions on Surface 2

Seeing that Silverlight is no longer supported by Microsoft, that they publically announced this over a year ago, that it doesn't even work with Metro IE or WP8 I'm not quite sure how a security vulnerability for that is even relevant.

It would be akin to mentioning a zero day exploit for Google Reader, Windows 95 or MSN messenger has been found.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Silverlight

MS still offers SilverLight to Windows desktop users via Windows update. It is installed on my Windows 8 tablet.

1. dssf

Re: Silverlight for MOBILE, not desktop, IIUC

Per this:

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/194404/silverlight-support-from-microsoft

MS is encouraging uptake of Silverlight for MOBILE devices, not desktop/non-mobile settings. I don't know where the truth lies, but since Netflix apparently dumped Silverlight, and Flash and HTML 5 seem to be favored, it is hard for me to know, especially since I'm not a programmer and don't follow it regularly.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Silverlight for MOBILE, not desktop, IIUC

Silverlight was used in WindowsPhone7 but dropped for WindowsPhone8 and not used at all for Windows 8 Metro/TIFKAM. The last update to Silverlight was Silverlight 5 released back in early 2012.

Netflix moved away from Silverlight when it was clear Microsoft had killed it off in favour of HTML5.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Many unanswered questions on Surface 2

You sir, are IMHO, a nob'ed

8. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Mushroom

Lawsuit

Whoever posted that tweet could be in real trouble.

Microsoft may not have noticed it but the SEC this year authorised the use of Twitter for relevant information. The flipside of being able to spurt "we're doing really great" is that the SEC takes a very dim view of "forward looking statements" that can be conceived as misleading. Without further, detailed information such as might be expected at investors' call it's difficult to see how that claim about a publicly traded company can be considered as anything other than misleading.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like