The Channel logo

back to article Don't lose control of those fast-breeding endpoints

So you want to know about security? Well you have come to the right place. I have been here for a while and I can tell you that outside these gates it’s full of cowboys, sharks and pirates, none of whom will hesitate to take what is yours and call it their own. The above is is a quote from a brochure I wrote in an attempt to …

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

splendid isolation

What has helped us a lot is the use of switches that provide a port isolation feature of some sort. Vendors have many names for this functionality port based VLANs, asymmetric VLANs, L2 isolation, etc. but the key point is that the LAN ports to which PCs are connected are prevented from communicating with each other, but some ports can be set to exchange packets with any other port - these are used for servers, printers, internet links. Nowadays one can get suitable switches at around £80 ext VAT (24-port).

When wireless APs are used that support a "client isolation" feature, plugged into an isolated port on the switch, all client-to-client comms are blocked.

Silver badge

Excellent article

Excellent article. Fundamental and concise advice. These practices work day in and day out. You will never NOT have a breach, but instances can be held to a bare minimum and it can be contained very quickly if you follow these best practices.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Frank Jennings

What do you do? Use manual typwriters or live in a Scottish croft? Our man advises
A rusty petrol pump at an abandoned gas station. Pic by Silvia B. Jakiello via shutterstock

Trevor Pott

Among other things, Active Directory needs an overhaul
Baby looks taken aback/shocked/affronted. Photo by Shutterstock

Kat Hall

Plans for 2 million FTTP connections in next four years 'not enough'
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

League of gentlemen poster - Tubbs and Edward at the local shop. Copyright BBC
One reselling man tells his tale of woe