back to article HP to enter 3D printer market in mid-2014 says CEO Meg Whitman

HP CEO Meg Whitman has told the Canalys Channels Forum in Bangkok that the company will enter the 3D printer market in the middle of 2014. "We are excited about 3D printing," Whitman said, adding that it is a natural business for HP to enter given its heritage in printers. "We want to lead this businesses. HP labs is looking …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So will HP introduce jams to 3D printers? How about overpriced refills that has to be HP produced?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

The printers will come with a free 1cc starter cartridge and the refills will be perfectly reasonable compared to powderded diamond

2. Simon Harris
      Coat

"So will HP introduce jams to 3D printers? How about overpriced refills that has to be HP produced?"

I first read that as a suggestion that HP should use jam as the printing medium, but then I thought HP sauce would be more appropriate!

Mine's the one with the jam sandwich in the pocket ------------------------->

3. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

3D Jams

So will HP introduce jams to 3D printers?

Mmm... I would like to be able to print a nice marmalade. If HP really wants to leapfrog their competition, they should put some effort into food replication.

1. JassMan

Re: 3D Jams @Robert Helpmann

While frogs are very tasty as an entrée, I don't think they taste very good as a jam.

2. JP19

feels 3D printing's knee is around three years off

She could be right - the question is which direction will the need bend?

1. Simon Harris

Re: feels 3D printing's knee is around three years off

We've been 3D printing knees for ages (working in an orthopaedic surgery department) !

When we looked for 3D printers over 2 years ago, we looked at an HP model then (HP DesignJet 3D Printer) but went for an Objet printer in the end. Seems like HP got into the market (although I think with a rebadged printer), got out and now want to get back in again.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'Seems like HP got into the market (although I think with a rebadged printer), got out and now want to get back in again.'

Yep, that's exactly what's happening.

2. Stoneshop
        Facepalm

Seems like HP got into the market (although I think with a rebadged printer), got out and now want to get back in again.

Their initial entry was late to the party, then they found out uptake wasn't that great, beancounters decide to cut their losses, and after yet another reorg and after 3D-printing has become more visible to the average consumer, someone at HP thinks 3D-printing could be their next venture...

See also: WebOS.

3. Trygve Henriksen

I wonder...

Lets hope they get their drivers right...

If a normal printing job can cause one of their printers to spew hundreds of sheets with a line of random symbols on top, imagine what could happen on a 3D printer...

4. Steve I

Why do they do this?

"It is a big opportunity and we are all over it. We will have something by the middle of next year."

Personally, I prefer Apple's approach - which, for the most part, would be HP saying "Here's our new 3D printer and it's available now." (Ok - maybe a couple of weeks). Not "Just wait until the middle of next year woo-hoo!"

Everyone moans about hugely early announcements that are inevitably late. Or so vague ("We'll have something") that you could announce anything 'on-time' and be months or years away from a product release.

Who remembers Google's "We'll have an iPad killer by Christmas"? Didn't happen - it was months late.

All of you - announce the damm thing when it's ready to ship! None o this "Just wait a few months and don't buy anything else - we'll be brilliant - honest!"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We want to lead this business[es]"

Nothing like a good head start, eh?

P.S. Hasn't 'Hewlett Packered' passed into popular rhyming slang yet? Damn, must try harder...

6. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Already there?

I remember seeing an HP badged 3D printer a few years ago (I can't remember what they called it 3DJet probably). It used the Stratasys FDM system - don't know if it was just badged, semi-custom or a complete HP design.

As far a jams; no what the Stratasys FDM system does is it suddenly goes ape shit, and produces what looks like a birdsnest made out of extruded plastic goo.

One problem is that after moving on from Stratasys using extruded goo (0.3mm), to SLA using monomer resins and laser polymerisation (0.016mm), all the new desktop systems look like trying to make an Airfix kit using lego bricks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Already there?

Thank you Bristol Bachelor, memories seem to be short around here. They had some Stratasys machines at HP Labs Bristol.

http://investors.stratasys.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=697147

or, from Wikipedia:

In January 2010, Stratasys signed an agreement with HP to manufacture HP-branded 3D printers.[9] In August 2012, the HP manufacturing and distribution agreement was discontinued.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratasys

Regarding the difference between Fused Material Deposition, and Selective Laser Activation or whatever its called this week: you get what you pay for!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile in other news.....

Kodak to produce a digital camera

8. steward
    Paris Hilton

We -know- what drives new tech...

So it's obvious that the first company to go after the customized teledildonics market will be the winner.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like