back to article Amazon's cloud cash pile dwarfs Microsoft and Rackspace's best efforts

Amazon reported record revenues from the "other" category of its earnings on Thursday, showing strong growth in its cloud division and highlighting the stranglehold it has on the virtualized compute and storage market. The $1.011bn in cash that flowed through "other" in the third quarter of 2013 towers above the previous …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

I bet

Microsoft's *cash* pile dwarfs Amazon's. One interesting tidbit someone told me earlier in the year, which I still find pretty incredible, Apple made more profits in one year than Amazon did since they went public (at least as of 2012 or something though I suspect the trend continues).

1. Nate Amsden

Re: I bet

oops sorry I think the stat was apple made more profits in one QUARTER than amazon in their history of being public.

2. fandom

That's right, at Amazon they have a history of reinvesting everything they make, that's why they could get in the cloud business to begin with and why they are now producing Tv series.

1. JC_

Why the downvote for fandom stating a fact? It is incredible how little profit Amazon has made, despite its huge income (& tax-avoidance ;) Clearly it's their strategy and an astonishing one - I'd hate to compete against them.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well, in a sense they are monetizing their pre/post-holiday shopping season computer capacity by having others pay them rents the rest of the year. Examined in that light, any reinvestment (capex, human, &c.) is made at negative interest rates which I don't think I've ever heard of anyone accomplishing before. So, yeah, I'd be shoveling that cash flow into reinvestment as fast as I could as well. Anything that earns additional tax subsidies would only be that much more sensible.

I do wonder about the TV-series though. Too many different ways to count that to even think about whether it's financially sensible or not. Although I tend to lean on not when it comes to media properties. Too many scams over too long a period to ever consider it legitimate let alone ethical or moral ;).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like