back to article Now Seagate posts declining results. Can new tech lift it upwards?

Seagate announced disappointing quarterly results but its underlying trends are positive as it makes big bets on new technologies. In the quarter ended September 27 Seagate’s revenues were $3.5 billion ($3.7 billion a year ago) with profits of $427 million ($582 million a year ago). The annual compare is coming off the tail- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ben_myers

Not too many disk drive vendors left, are there?

All the consolidation in the biz means that there are only three drive vendors left: Seagate, WD and Toshiba. I wonder what new technology Toshiba has up its sleeve.

1. Roo

Re: Not too many disk drive vendors left, are there?

"I wonder what new technology Toshiba has up its sleeve."

In my experience I found that Toshiba seem to be pretty good at building drives that don't break shortly after the warranty expires. The competition don't seem to be interested in that particular niche...

Seagate seem to struggle to make drives that can live longer than 24 months. WD can ensure that their drives fail at or before a point in time by using Helium as the magic smoke (which will escape at a slow but steady rate).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Forget the race for increased capacity, 4 TB per drive unit ought to be enough for anyone.. Improve reliability, increase the warranty period, reduce power consumption, and reduce the price. Then the sales will come.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like