back to article Wait, what's that shuffling from 2013's gloom? It's a bloodied but unbowed HP

The near unthinkable has happened. Despite a troubled year for the PC industry and a generally poor outlook for the next one, HP has managed to report good news for its fourth quarter, beating expectations both for the quarter and for fiscal 2013. That's not to say it isn't still being battered by the market slowdown. Revenues …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP used to be a great name, great product. Then they got into the PC and printer business and....well, they are banned from my workplace.

1. asdf
      Trollface

well

The world's highest tech ink seller might make a note of losing your business in their next filing with the SEC but probably not.

2. Richard Taylor 2

Actually HP printers led then world. Laser was based on a Canon technology but a great example of technology enhancement. Ink certainly an HP leader - other technologies do exist... Printers were and are a massive success for many of their users.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is see the same thing happening to HP

as happened to DEC in the 1990's.

Sad really when senior management get so involved in playing 'management musical chairs' that the company goes to rot. Sacking all the people who actually do the work will not solve the problem one little bit.

Even sadder is the fact that I'm going to need them to survive for a little linger so that I can get my pension from them. At least here in in the UK HP can't touch the funds in the pension pot (thanks to Maxwell). I'm sure they would have raided it a long time ago if the could have been able to do so.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is see the same thing happening to HP

Don't be too sure. I had concluded that my 20 years of HP service and 'protected' pension are safe. Proposed legislation in the UK makes that uncertain. HP pensions will be raided and there is bugger all we can do about it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Results somewhat worse than they appear

Talking of meagre and modest declines is all very well, but that's in nominal terms (ie assumes a dollar in 2012 was the same as in 2013). In fact the global economy grew by around 2-3%, so any analysis needs to factor that in, plus the dilution of the value of the dollar that quantitative easing has caused. Making that inflationary adjustment is a tad tricky because the US (like the UK and others) essentially make up their national statistics to suit the lying cheat thieving 1%ers.

More realistic inflation rates (eg from Shadowstats) are in the range of 5-7%, so even 9% "growth" in accounted revenues is simply standing still once you allow for economic growth. To be fair, these results are better than the previous ones. But I reckon HP's near public sector bureaucracy, failed management, and cost cutting may yet come back to take a further chunk out of HP's arse.

4. vmistery

Question is for HP really what will happen with Dell now its going private. Dell recently have been in my experience (I have just bought servers and new desktops / Monitors for a new office fit) savagely undercutting HP, either HP has been keeping their prices high or Dell have been trimming it really low.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like