back to article HP dishes up FAIL-filled public cloud

HP's "general availability" version of its public cloud has more "known issues" than "features", which may provoke worries among admins mulling the value of the company's "enterprise-grade" OpenStack infrastructure cloud. The 13.5 release of the public cloud was announced on Monday, and brought with it "lots of great new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

anything

that doesn't allow pooling of resources is a giant fail in my book, no need to continue discussion. that includes the likes of amazon, rackspace, hp, etc..

we've been pooling resources in the "enterprise" for nearly a decade now, going back to 90s-era infrastructure is just wrong in so many ways.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Worse than Amazon?

AWS has plenty of flaws. limitations and bugs too -- they just don't publicise them. Good luck firing up 100 instances in one go on AWS for instance...

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Worse than Amazon?

So DEVELOP your argument, anon.

Also: "Nope, know nothing"

Jesus F*ck HP. You are no longer the go-to guys, you know that?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe I am missing what the issue is. Every single piece of HP software I have ever used was riddled with bugs and obvious oversights. So this just seems like status quo to me.

4. Knieriemen

Calling BS

I'm in no position to defend HP on all of this... but parts of this are not accurate.

"HP has apparently dropped support for both Amazon EC2 APIs and private cloud Eucalyptus tools. The AWS EC2 APIs are widely used and have become a de facto standard for building cloud apps."

Contrary to what Eucalyptus and AWS want you to believe, EC2 API's are *NOT* the defacto standard for anything other than instances being built on AWS. HP (or any OpenStack-based cloud) do not have to have to incorporate EC2 API's. Additionally, most OpenStack clouds being built today have no interest or requirement to use AWS EC2... it's a red herring argument.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I do hope the project will be successful and this will not be another failed project at the public's expense.

The choice of MS-O365 when IT comes closer to home (with storage in Amsterdam) is not a clear sign of "this is important" and makes it look like a toy-for-the-techies?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like