back to article Microsoft rallies channel troops: Sell, sell, sell our spanking new 'Cloud OS'

Microsoft has flexed its on-premises software expertise and armed 25 IT service providers with Redmond technology – so they can snatch back customers lured by siren calls emanating from Amazon Web Services. The new "Cloud OS Network" involves Microsoft dispersing its "Cloud OS" technology among a slew of resellers, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert E A Harvey

Watch yer backs

So that's 25 companies lined up to be shat upon in 2.5 years time, is it?

Microsoft's "partners" have never been guaranteed a long advantage in the market place.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Watch yer backs

I'm surprised they need to bother with resellers for Azure - companies are already swarming round it like flies to shit...

1. Mikel

@ac - sure buddy. Declare victory early and often. Hide behind Fawkes all you want. We still know you by your tricks.

2. hplasm
        Meh

"companies are already swarming round it like flies to shit..."

Because it's already dead?

1. blondie101
          Trollface

> "companies are already swarming round it like flies to shit..."

> Because it's already dead?

No because it stinks...

2. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

Micro who?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Microsoft, they're the largest software company in the world, I would have thought you would have heard of them if you were posting on a tech web site.

Oh, sorry, you were doing a funny.

0/10 Troll harder next time.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

0/10 Troll harder next time

Do not tempt me.

Exactly how dumb are you anyways? There are a dozen people who frequent these forums that could tear you a new one so comprehensively you'd be a gibbering mess rocking back and forth in a corner tearing out your own hair. Please don't lower our collective opinion of Microsoft's deep web and social media contractors even more than it already is. You should know better by now.

3. gerryg

history repeating itself, why?

If cloud is the the question it's difficult to understand why Openstack isn't the answer. As the article implies choice of lock-in isn't "not locked-in" and it certainly isn't a contribution to interoperability.

If Openstack isn't yet ready for prime time (isn't it?) helping it get there seems to be a better option than getting sucked into yet another proprietary nightmare.

Unless of course, someone on the client side is suitably incentivised from someone on the supply side?

Any other reasons?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: history repeating itself, why?

Openstack is a complex mess of different products and options and is relatively expensive to setup, configure and manage change on. For Enterprise use of Public Cloud, Azure makes a lot of sense as the toolset with System Centre is powerful, flexible and has a low TCO for most enterprise type use. Azure is also a low risk choice as the investment required to set it up is relatively small, and it doesn't tie you in as you can simply export all your VM images and import them into another cloud, or into Hyper-V or vSphere based private or hybrid cloud.

I would expect that you will only see organisations with large legacy boat anchor businesses and the associated UNIX teams even considering using Openstack. Companies like HP and IBM spring to mind....More agile providers will likely go with something a bit easier to build and manage...

1. gerryg

Ah, good to see the old explanations about TCO rearing up. That will be the non-complex problem-free Azure, then?

From the article:

"Last time Microsoft's Azure cloud went down, it was a sub-component that flaked out globally, and the time before that it was a certificate problem – now the service is inaccessible again, along with its status page."

And it's never too much trouble to link to the London School of Economics TCO comparison

1. Chemist

Nice link.

Here's another :

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/public-sector/3493623/munich-declares-switch-open-source-successfully-completed/

By Loek Essers | IDG News Service | Published 09:41, 13 December 13

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ah, that laughable 'LSE' gem by 'the open source consortium' - and authors who write books on open source - i'm sure that's balanced and impartial then....

Munich already demonstrated that migrations to Open Source don't work - ten years later and 30% of users still have to use Windows and it cost €30-40 Million more than to upgrade to a current Microsoft stack...and now they have two environments to support and integrate!

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.focus.de%2Ffinanzen%2Fnews%2Fsoftware-streit-bei-der-stadt-muenchen-haben-udes-it-experten-falsch-gerechnet_aid_901250.html

If Open Source were a better Mousetrap, then businesses would be heading to it in droves, but in reality there is near zero interest - Microsoft still have over 90% share of the desktop and 75% of the Server OS markets....

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Hey, uh, MS shill dude...you know how RedHat made Linux Enterprise class?

PistonCloud is the RedHat of Openstack. Keep an eye out next year for lots on them. They've made my list of "companies Trevor is interested in" and I expect I'll be testing their stuff in my lab rather a lot.

4. vmcreator

Google to the rescue

Do not worry VMware, Google will rescue you when the time is right. Poor Microsoft.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like