back to article Bluetooth Smart dev board hits US, UK for sub-$100

Bluetooth chip maker CSR has what it hopes will be an attractive Christmas gift option for hardware hackers and makers: a low-cost development board for Bluetooth Smart applications based on µEnergy silicon. CSR is launching the product, the CSR10X0 Starter Development Kit today. The board comes with a full SDK for developing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 7

As opposed to an Arduino sheild at <£20

and no need for expensive operating systems.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: As opposed to an Arduino sheild at <£20

This kit includes CSR's xIDE development environment on a disc - it is this that requires Windows, not the actual hardware.

2. Steve Todd

So adding postage and tax

That's about £110 then. These guys HAVE to be kidding.

3. loneranger
    FAIL

Doomed PC? Hardly

"Forget the doomed PC market, it's all about wearable gadgetry now"

Tony, do you sincerely believe that statement? If you do, then you are a lot dumber than I would have thought. The PC isn't "doomed". It's just going to be a smaller segment of the market, because most people don't need the power of a PC to send an email or surf the web. But that doesn't mean that PC's aren't needed for power users who need a large screen and full-size keyboard that they don't have to HUNT AND PECK. You can't get serious work done without a full-size keyboard!

This is not going to change for many years to come.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Doomed PC? Hardly

I think you may need to think for a moment before describing Tony as "dumb", chum. He wrote the article. The headline and strap are most likely written by a subeditor, likely some malnourished intern locked in a basement without any natural light.

Besides, ad hominem is hardly an effective argument technique.

"you're stupid"

"your argument is stupid"

One of these is a valid criticism. The other is just rude.

1. loneranger

You quoted me as saying "stupid". Look at my post again. I didn't say "stupid", only "dumber", once, and that was an "if", so your comment is putting words in my mouth which I never said. So who is rude?

Why don't you let him defend his article instead of you using an ad hominem attack against me without merit?

You're probably right that I could have used better terminology without going overboard. My apologies to the author for any misunderstanding.

2. Richard Plinston

> But that doesn't mean that PC's aren't needed

The statement says that the 'PC market' is doomed, not 'PCs'. The market declines because, mostly, those that need PCs already have an adequate one and will put off replacing them with something better and spend money on toys like this.

> This is not going to change for many years to come.

No, and more and more PC users are not going to change their PCs either - leading to a decline in the _market_.

1. loneranger

Ok, PC market vs PC. I suppose that's a valid point, but the difference is splitting hairs. It's just one of many articles I've read recently sounding like a prophet of doom about the PC. All are ridiculous.

1. Richard Plinston

> Ok, PC market vs PC. I suppose that's a valid point, but the difference is splitting hairs.

No, it isn't 'splitting hairs'. You thought that it meant PCs were about to be taken away from users, who would then have to do their work on tablets and phones.

> It's just one of many articles I've read recently sounding like a prophet of doom about the PC. All are ridiculous.

They only seem to be "ridiculous" if you completely misunderstand what they say. They are not about ripping your PC away from you, they are saying that you, and others, will keep your existing PC longer, for various reasons*, and therefore the number _sold_ will be less (thus the PC _market_ is doomed) while the number _used_ will probably still increase**.

* Offloading tasks to tablets and phones, such as email, web, games; budget constraints; existing PC is 'good enough'; wanting to avoid Windows 8; ...

** because the numbers being discarded are less than the numbers sold.

4. Stevie

Bah!

The Beaglebone Black comes with a bunch of unhelpful stuff that will end up costing the lucky owner an smalle fortune - tiny HDMI connector that cannot be matched to a high street vendor's cable assortment, micro SD that must be less than a certain size but you'll only find out after you've sprung for the commonly available larger size and so forth. I must've driven away the cost of the BBB itself in gasoline tracking down that 8 gig micro SD card.

And then it didn't work without much cursing, swearing and messing around.

The Raspberry Pi is a much easier ride even if you have to start by learning how to burn iso images to an SD card without trashing your hard drive.

Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bah!

Having not touched my Pi for a while, I recently loaded a current "noob" installer to the Pi SD card and it's so much easier and friendly now.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem with the mobile world is its closed nature. Computing is moving ever closer to the console world where soon only commercial companies will be writing software.

It seems doing development or anything useful with computing and electronics seems to result in the purchase of some extra board or device. Years ago on your Beeb, Speccy or C64 you'd rig something up to the user port.

This topic is closed for new posts.