back to article SAP loses head in the clouds Calderoni as online sales grow

SAP, the world's largest supplier of business software, has lost its head of cloud – despite reporting an increase in cash from its online business. Bob Calderoni has left the on-prem giant after just over a year in the job. Calderoni is to remain as a strategic advisor on SAP's management board. Calderoni was chairman and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SAP

> "SAP, the world's largest supplier of business software"

Why does that tagline ALWAYS follow SAP on this site, even though the claim is via Wikipedia, and based on a 7 year old research paper that isn't even online anymore? Honestly, can The Register qualify or back up this claim with recent evidence?

1. Getriebe

Re: SAP

I would like some backup on that as well

It's certainly the largest company of monolithic software that costs their clients astronomical consultant fees, never ever gets completely installed and has more config items than anything else

One of those must make it the biggest somehow

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: SAP

The major competition for SAP in the "Business Software" world is ORACLE. In 2013 SAP had revenue of €16.22 billion derived from Business Software and Consulting. ORACLE on the other hand had a revenue of US$ 37.18 billion from Hardware AND Software. So it is reasonable to assume that in "Business" software, SAP outsold ORACLE in 2013. Of course in the general software space the Great Evil One outsold everyone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ Anon

> ORACLE on the other hand had a revenue of US$ 37.18 billion from Hardware AND Software. So it is reasonable to assume that in "Business" software, SAP outsold ORACLE in 2013

Except that ORACLE's hardware sales are a small proportion of their overall revenue, so of that $37 billion, most of it would be software. Additionally, ORACLE don't sell non-business software, so it's ALL business, so it is actually reasonable to assume that in "Business" software, ORACLE outsold SAP in 2013, and it's probably been like that for some years.

1. TJGeezer

Re: @ Anon

If Oracle isn't neck-in-neck for biggest, it's a close call. What interests me is that SAP seems still to have bet its future on the cloud and brags about growth there despite the relatively (!) small numbers. If I read that correctly, even then the HANA growth underperformed relative to expectations. And I have to wonder, first, if waving goodbye to their main cloud guy is a clue all is not well in that division, and second, what impact the NSA's diddling everyone's data streams and encryption has had. I imagine that companies of a size to license and use SAP infrastructure are not eager to risk opening their unspun records to any government, least of all a rogue agency that routinely violates their own enabling legislation.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like