back to article OK, Wyse guy: So how do YOU think 'boosting' legacy tech is a winner?

Nexenta, the provider of hardware-independent software-defined storage with a ZFS disk-based stack, has gained 5,000-plus customers by enabling them to get EMC/NetApp-class storage functionality at much lower prices by not paying the mainstream vendors' lock-in hardware tax. It's a good game, as far as it goes, but the world …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

How is so-called "legacy tech" a winner?

My WY50 terminals attached to serial ports (early 1980s technology) still allow me to fix a tits-up GUI on current server hardware. Not that I think the GUI is necessary to begin with for this kinda thing, you understand ... but try to explain that to the kids in marketing.

Well, you DID ask ...

1. Stoneshop
      Holmes

Sometimes, legacy tech is just legacy. Like Jake.

A serial terminal? My Psion 5MX does that too and is eminently more portable than a CRT-in-a-case-with-a-loose-keyboard that is a Wyse 50, or a Digital VT220, or any of their contemporaries. Try climbing a ladder with one of those to fix a misbehaving piece of network tech (which has lost its serial-to-IP connection as part of that) somewhere in the bowels of a production plant, and see how you manage. Even a laptop with a real serial port, or a qualified USB-serial or PCcard-serial adapter would be a better choice.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Sometimes, legacy tech is just legacy. Like Jake.

Jake has a special belt clip for his CRT monitors so he can climb where he wants with them.

He also has a clip for the Punch Card reader, when not in use it acts as a natural counter balance to the CRT

1. jake Silver badge

@AC: 01/27 (was: Re: Sometimes, legacy tech is just legacy. Like Jake.)

Nice ad-hom. Sad that you are unclear on the concept.

2. jake Silver badge

In 1985 (nearly a decade and a half before your 5MX), I used ComDesign statmuxes and pre-strung serial cables, sometimes/often with Anderson-Jacobson dial-back modem-pairs, to reconfigure sodding bits of misbehaving hardware both on-campus and all over the world. From the Sun Workstation on my desk in my clean, cool office. I still do, as a matter of fact, on my personal distributed network. The Sun is now an aging HP laptop running Slackware, but little else has changed.

Climbing a ladder in this situation is ... well, to put it mildly, fool hardy. A proper data center would never require such a bit of physical exertion for text access to a server with a titsup GUI. Me, I handle it from my desk.

Butt in the saddle time. That's the only way to learn ...

1. Stoneshop
          Holmes

So, then one of those modem or muxes fails. Now what?

1. jake Silver badge

"So, then one of those modem or muxes fails. Now what?"

Nearly a third of a century later, none have yet.

Your mileage may vary.

::shrugs::

1. Stoneshop
              FAIL

Ah, extrapolating from what has (not) happened, instead of preparing for what can happen.

1. jake Silver badge

@Stoneshop (was: Re: Sometimes, legacy tech is just legacy. Like Jake.)

Please note, Stoneshop, I have a couple of alternate access methods in my personal command&control system ... leased lines, "The Internet" (whatever that is), dial-back modems, and hardwired.

I think I'm kinda ready for what what can happen. YMMV.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

nexenta is vastly overpriced

IxSystems (Formerly BSDi) TrueNAS eat their lunch in the USA, but for the moment ixSystems aren't present in europe.

Nexenta's pricing follows the dope peddler model: Hook 'em on small cheap stuff then hold them over a barrel when they want large systems.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

Imposter !

That's not Tarkan Maner ! That's Castle - laughing at the perpetrator he just caught thanks to a keylogger his daughter surreptiously installed on the perp's PC !

This topic is closed for new posts.