back to article IBM x86 sale will disrupt customers and the channel, shrieks Fujitsu

Channel partners and customers of IBM's x86 biz should brace themselves for a period of uncertainty and unpredictability as Lenovo prepares to wolf down the division, rival server maker Fujitsu is warning. The Chinese firm stumped up $2.3bn for the Intel-based volume server unit last month, although the deal is awaiting …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not terribly likely

Almost all of Lenovo's server offerings have been rebranded entry-level IBM kit, and having previously eaten the ThinkPad business they have a decent chance of managing this transition too.

Anyway, now I've learned something... Fujitsu make x86 servers.

2. Captain Scarlet

Fujitsu

I wonder if they want everyone to think

"You can't get fired for buying IBM but you can for Lenovo, so you may as well just buy ours instead!"

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: Fujitsu

"You can't get fired for buying IBM but you can for Lenovo, so you may as well just buy ours instead!"

Because if IBM can't make enough money out of a 14% market share to stay in the game, we sure can with a mere 3% market share.

1. ToddR

Re: Fujitsu

Attention Michael Keegan!

1. Lenovo make shed loads of PCs

2. Lenovo make shed loads of servers, (happen to say IBM on most)

3. Servers are PC motherboards in longer thinner box. Its's not hard to do.

What are you wittering on about?

3. JulianB

Yeah, right

because the future for Fujitsu is far less uncertain and unpredictable than for Lenovo

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Hear, hear.

Has anyone seen the Fujitsu-Siemens server series lately?

Not bad kit per se (except the entry-level with the Promise RAID ... kill it with fire!), but a bit pricey (don't even mention the maintenance contracts) and as usual for this class of machines, the BIOS was a permaclusterfuck of inconsistent shite unfit for any sort of purpose, which was "ameliorated" in an Al Capone way by the stripped-down Windows-based management interfaces on CD that introduced even more inconsistency.

What happened to it?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Funny thing is I used to work for Fujitsu and my colleagues in the wintel team often commented how much they'd rather have pretty much any server apart from a Fujitsu or Dell one!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like