back to article Dell staffers head for exit armed with redundo cheques

The first wave of Dell folk to volunteer to leap from the privately owned biz with a redundancy parachute, swept over parts of the organisation last week – and by all accounts the numbers exceeded management targets. Or so say our sources close to the company, some of whom are now former Dell people that were only too happy to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Voluntary outgetters?

Unions must be furious!

2. M. B.

Finally...

...someone mentioned the baby Compellent array due out. I guess that's that as far as confidentiality goes.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Finally...

Wait, you mean there was someone out there who didn't know about the Compellent line rejig?

3. fishman

The best leave first

Often, when there is voluntary separation, the ones that can get a new job the easiest are the ones to leave - which typically are the best ones.

1. Securitymoose
      Terminator

Re: The best leave first

Taken to extremes, you lose all your good staff, and all that's left is the dross who could never get a job anywhere else. Do you really want to retain these when you are trying to save the company?

Best way is to decide on your new structure, fill all the vacancies from your own staff, and then let the rest go. You must give incentives to your retained staff to stop them leaving - costs a bit more, but you don't tear the guts out of your business. Sounds to me like Dell is due for further troubles.

4. Hollerith 1

the savvy ones jump

I was in a big company where cross-the-board cuts were being made. I decided the hovering axe was too stressful to endure and found another job. In my exit interview, they blurted out 'you weren't one of the ones we wanted to get rid of'. Well, I didn't feel that love and, from what I heard of the shambles that followed, all the other savvy ones jumped too, ditto feeling no love, and they were left with the drones and the clueless managers who had hired and retained all the drones while losing the ones who did the work.

1. <shakes head>

Re: the savvy ones jump

logica?

5. ecofeco Silver badge

Parachute?

The only parachute I ever got was empty.

Must be nice. And I've helped with billion dollar mergers. (and people wonder why I'm cranky and not an ambitious go-getter)

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

exceeded management targets?

How can a voluntary redundancy programme exceed targets, especially to the extent that the company might even need to hire in replacements?

Surely if there's a target to get rid of a certain number of people from specified departments or divisions, you ask people to volunteer then inform those who have been "successful". Other are simply not accepted into the redundancy program or their application is rejected. If they still want to leave, then they can, of course. But without the redundancy package. You're not redundant if you are needed.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing on the part of those who want to leave but it seems like a stupid deal for Dell. Surely they have lawyers who oversee these sort of things? After all, they deal with multiple legal jurisdictions so need to tailor things to suit local employment law.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem is that people who choose to leave are usually the most skilled and are confident they can get another job easily, and may even have job offers in the pipeline...

This does not bode well for Dell....

8. Joe User
    Trollface

Be careful what you wish for. . .

You might just get it.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. John Tserkezis

"...and by all accounts the numbers exceeded management targets."

I hope Dell is happy with the remaining three deadwood employees.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like