back to article See me after class: Apple scores AAA rating from brand-botherer

Apple has been named the world's most valuable brand for the third time in a row, with No 2 Samsung narrowing the gap slightly but still trailing behind. According to Brand Finance's Global 500 list, Apple's brand value in 2014 is $104bn, up 20 per cent from $87bn in 2013. Samsung, meanwhile, was judged to be worth $79bn, up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Heisenberg

Razor like insight

So let me get this straight, this new report demonstrates beyond repudiation that Apple are to be regarded a powerful brand?

F&*k, I did NOT see that coming!

1. Philip Lewis
      Trollface

Re: Razor like insight

@ Heisenberg

There was some uncertainty involved, so it is to be expected that you may not have foreseen it ;)

1. Hollerith 1

Re: Razor like insight

He could see it coming, but did know know where or when. Or the other way around.

2. 's water music

damn corrections link

I know it's there but can I ever spot it?

Para 2 Samsung brand up FROM 20bn last year to 79bn

Para 3 Samsung brand up BY 20bn since last year to 79bn (which sounds more likely)

1. Rik Myslewski
      Headmaster

Re: damn corrections link

The "damn corrections link" is right above the first comment block near the top of this page, to the immediate right of the "House rules" link and on the same horizontal as the "Post your comment" button.

Glad to help...

1. 's water music

Re: damn corrections link

> to the immediate right of the "House rules" link and on the same horizontal as the "Post your comment" button.

Thanks. The n00b mistake I always make is to search for it on the article page

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

"Banco di Mesa Verde"

According to Brand Finance's Global 500 list, Apple's brand value in 2014 is $104bn, up 20 per cent from $87bn in 2013. Samsung, meanwhile, was judged to be worth $79bn, up from just $20bn last year.

But what is a brand value? Does the above mean that if I wanted to buy "Apple" off Apple, USD 79'000'000'000 would be regarded as a "fair price"?

1. chr0m4t1c

Re: "Banco di Mesa Verde"

No, $79bn would be a fair price for Samsung's brand value. $104bn for Apple.

Brand value is the intangible bit that makes people pay more for your products or services than they would for an unbranded or unknown equivalent, it's entirely based on perception.

For example, it's the reason why Ford were able to sell the Mk IV Fiesta at a higher price than the Mazda 121, even through they were the same car made in the same factory, just with different badges.

2. Cubical Drone

It is the worst form of the economic abomination known as rent seeking.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, it isn't rent seeking.

Brand value is the equivalent of the added value from hallmarking. It measures the extent to which I can buy a product from a named company sight unseen and expect to find it satisfactory. (Of course, companies may spend huge amounts of marketing money on trying to influence perception. There was a mantra of marketing departments in the 1990s that "everything is perception", which was true but, as some of them found out, didn't address what "perception" really means.)

Tedious, geeky people like myself, when wanting to buy an expensive object, will do lots of work to find out what most closely meets their requirements, what other people have thought of it, and so on. Then they will spend money. People with lives who want a new laptop or phone short circuit the process and just buy Apple. They expect the product to be good enough even if, as is often the case, it never really does very much for them. However, the report suggests that these same people are now almost as likely to apply the same process and buy Samsung.

There is nothing rent-seeking about a brand name so long as it is not diluted by being sold or misapplied (for instance the Mini Countryman is not a Mini, I believe, it's made on a completely different platform in Austria. And then there's Caterpillar, a company for which I used to have huge respect, licensing its name to boots.) So far neither Apple nor Samsung has done this.

4. Hellcat

Are these the same kind of ratings companies that were giving Greece a good credit rating just months before they defaulted on their debt, and the USA triple-A despite being just days away from defaulting during their mad few weeks of government stalemate?

All looks like 'finger in the air' type figures to me.

1. Tom 38
      FAIL

Are these the same kind of ratings companies that were giving Greece a good credit rating just months before they defaulted on their debt, and the USA triple-A despite being just days away from defaulting during their mad few weeks of government stalemate?

No - completely different.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How Greece defaulted on their debt

@Tom 38: "Are these the same kind of ratings companies that were giving Greece a good credit rating just months before they defaulted on their debt"

It’s the Neocolonial Private Power Domination Model, stupid! ..

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: How Greece defaulted on their debt

Hey, that's a wonderful article. It references the Falklands War without ever mentioning that the outcome of the war was the collapse of a very nasty little dictatorship. It was a great tragedy that the Belgrano was sunk and so many people died over a tinpot dispute, but the outcome, getting rid of Galtieri, was hardly a disaster and may have saved more lives.

I'm going to speculate that the author of the piece isn't a social democrat.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The world's most valuable brand? I see Walmart and GE made the list too.

So, by world, they really mean America.

I'd guess that outside of the good ole US of A, Walmart as a brand has all the value of Ratners. Yes, I know they own ASDA ,but nobody cares.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Verizon? Global brand? IMHO Verizon is basically meaningless in Europe

7. Keep Refrigerated

AAAAAAA+

Great way to create a thin veneer of some kind of established and credible* ratings agency by copying the rating system used by actual established ratings agencies that have been around for over 100 years.

Never mind the fact that these multiple A's and +/-'s exist purely to maintain a veneer itself that certain governments and conglomerates are still in the 'A' club and not create panic.

Just where do they get their $ values from anyway? If a company is graded by the stock and valued by the value of the stock, where does this other $ value fit in that they've come up with?

I suppose it could represent the marginal value of the premium Apple or Samsung get to charge on top of what their underlying product is actually worth, based on brand - but how does that calculate to company value, and not unit value instead? Since I assume they don't have access to current gross profit for sales of products from Apple et al.

I think it's bullshit, that's what. I think it's a bunch of marketing and finance execs looking to get in on the speculation game and coming up with another metric to judge companies by.

*'credible' in this context is a fluid term that just so happens to mean whatever a credit ratings agency wants to define it as. Such as ratings agencies who might have significant interests in rating junk mortgage-backed securities as triple A.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like