back to article Lenovo banks on $1 BEELLION Moto turnaround in SIX quarters

Lenovo boss Yang Yuanqing has boasted that he can wipe Motorola Mobility’s $1bn-a-year (£600m) losses in just six quarters once his firm takes the helm at the handset maker. Yang told Bloomberg on the sidelines of Mobile World Congress this week that he could make the turnaround without the need to cut any jobs. “Don’t be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jb99

I actually believe this

Most companies I'd be very skeptical.

But somehow I believe this might happen.

2. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

Look out Nokia!

This is the way to take a loss forward into profit.

3. auburnman

I wonder if they could make Motorola give up the 'lockdown' mentality and release a mobile with stock android sans uninstallable apps? I think there's a gap in the market for a decent hardware manufacturer willing to put out something that isn't bogged down with shite by default if they could undercut the latest Nexus a little.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Eh? The Moto G already runs stock Android, KitKat.

1. auburnman

No it doesn't. I got one for my dad thinking exactly this at the weekend only to find lots of Motorola cruft that won't uninstall.

4. Simon Rockman

Turn around?

Not a chance

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If Lenovo do to Motorola what they did to ThinkPad

that'll never, EVER, happen.

"But we are stronger in the manufacturing of devices.”

Horseshit. Lenovo are now purveyors of plastic shit (latest ThinkPads are an abomination to the name) and can't even be arsed to correctly test their firmware (it bricks).

The only vendor of decent laptop hardware is now Apple. Shame.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: If Lenovo do to Motorola what they did to ThinkPad

The only vendor of laptops with 16:10 screens is Apple.

If I'm wrong, PLEASE do include a link!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: If Lenovo do to Motorola what they did to ThinkPad

Google does that 4:3 "Pixel" thing, but that's about it. All the other OEMs are chasing 16:9 in a plastic Apple-wannabe case running Windows.

There's nothing to choose between them, ThinkPad was the last bastion of quality and it's no more.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> However, the revival in its fortunes took several years. Canalys APAC MD Rachel Lashford told The Reg recently that it took five years from the takeover date for the division “to be operating at its full potential again”.

That's hardly surprising.

PCs are a declining market, still growing but most people are having problems in this area.

The mobile phone market is still rapidly expanding. I have no doubt whatsoever that Lenovo will make a quick go of Motorola.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Moto-G CDMA

Was looking to get one of these but they weren't available on schedule (probably a provider problem vs. a Moto problem...).

Got a new iPhone instead and hived off the old iPhone.

But, there is a lack of cheap smartphones out there, margins are better at the top end but volume is better at the bottom end so Lenovo has a definite chance.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like