back to article Pork time! £350m in Health Service mail-etcetera cloud deals up for grabs

The contract for a massive NHS email system is up for grabs under a £350m government IT pitch. The Crown Commercial Service has published a tender calling on providers of cloud-based email services to submit their bids for a two-year contract to run the next version of NHSMail. NHSMail is the national email and director …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Gmail

Wouldn't it be cheaper, easier and more secure to just sign up all the users with a gmail account?

You could use Yahoo then GCHQ would archive all your x-ray images for you aswell

1. Captain Scarlet
      Facepalm

Re: Gmail

Oh dear you have just opened a can of worms.

Duck and Cover!

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Yep, then the NSA wouldn't even need to compromise the NHS network to get intimately private medical material about people, they could just demand it all from the service provider.

Great idea.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Well it saves GCHQ having to copy it to a USB stick for them and then leave it on a train

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

Any of those "clouds" in the UK?

Or will US companies play the "safe harbor" provision?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Any of those "clouds" in the UK?

As an IT Security Officer in the NHS all I can say is.. they'll have put that in the contract surely.

Then head back to my corner and cry.

3. talk_is_cheap
    FAIL

The wonders of tenders

The contract is to run for 2 years, can you imagine all the setup costs that have to be included in a 2 year contract to support 1/2m accounts and that's not including the capital cost of systems if the system can't just be deployed to current cloud services.

The only real winner is going to be Microsoft yet again via all the licence fees they will be charging.

1. An0n C0w4rd

Re: The wonders of tenders

Actually, I don't understand the "20 suppliers" part. They want to split the mail service up over 20 different providers? With different mail systems? Calendar interoperability and directory services would become a nightmare. Or are they splitting the platform into different bits? Mail, directory, etc, going to different vendors? If so, who gets to host it all?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The wonders of tenders

It's not NHSmail that's being tendered. It's the framework agreement. After that NHSmail gets tendered through the framework.

4. ElNumbre
    Holmes

A vision

I see Office 365 in their future....

I'm not even related to Septic Peg either.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So does it just prove

Crown Commercial Service doesn't understand "The Cloud" ?

I dread to think about the unencrypted personal medical data being emailed in a public cloud somewhere in cyberspace.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So does it just prove

Not true, I'm afraid. The tender is for a framework for secure email.

6. Adrian Midgley 1

The previous version was better and still runs

I think.

It was built on Exim...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not Quite Right

As I understand it the framework is for the entirety of the public sector, not just NHSmail. The data will be housed in the UK in accordance with Government policies. There's a better description on the EHI site:

http://www.ehi.co.uk/news/EHI/9254/%C2%A3350m-managed-email-framework-released

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like